Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

FAQ No. 1 for Aegean Miles & Bonus: All You need to Know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Members should note that the contents in this thread mostly relate to the old Miles+Bonus programme, and therefore may be dramatically out of date. The information can only be relied upon for historical purposes, and that contained in early posts in particular should be treated with caution.
Print Wikipost

FAQ No. 1 for Aegean Miles & Bonus: All You need to Know

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:34 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by EAPflyer
Just wanted to let you know that today I have had my second upgrade Y->C on LX with my A3 status. So, upgrades on *A carriers are not totally impossible.
What route did you fly?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus Miles&More Skywards
Wink Mileage credit on A3

Hello everybody,

I recently flew in H class with LH from ZRH to TSE via FRA, surprisingly I was credited more miles with A3 than if I would of my Miles & More card. 3672 instead of 3424 shown on the M&M calculator.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:53 am

I'm going to travel a lot on SQ and i've booked the flights that will always be overbooked in Y.

Let's see if A3 Gold will bump me upwards, though SQ is known for their stringent upgrading policies.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: AC E35
Is there a minimum requirement of miles earned on A3 metal to reach gold status? Or is it a straight 20,000 on any elgible *A flight? Just seems too good and too easy (i'm primarily interested in rejuvenating my *G status after missing out on AC 50K by 2k.)

Sorry if I missed it in the FAQ (I read it twice, but ya never know).

Thanks!

Edit: I've read FAQ No.2 and I guess I can assume there are no mandatory flights on A3 metal to qualify?

Last edited by arbutus; Jan 17, 2013 at 4:07 pm
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: Alitalia Mille Miglia, KLM/Air France Flying Blue, Aegean Miles&Bonus, Priority Club, HHonors
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by arbutus
Is there a minimum requirement of miles earned on A3 metal to reach gold status? Or is it a straight 20,000 on any elgible *A flight? Just seems too good and too easy (i'm primarily interested in rejuvenating my *G status after missing out on AC 50K by 2k.)

Sorry if I missed it in the FAQ (I read it twice, but ya never know).

Thanks!

Edit: I've read FAQ No.2 and I guess I can assume there are no mandatory flights on A3 metal to qualify?
Eligible Star Alliance miles earned. It is too good and too easy.

This is because Aegean is only a regional carrier in Greece and on paper would appear to be harder to earn miles on Star Alliance metal over there.

Keep in mind it's easier to earn miles on Star Alliance in North America, being served locally by so many flights with United, US Airways, Lufthansa, Air Canada, whereas (with the exception of maybe Lufthansa) Greek hubs are served mainly by Olympic, the big Sky Team airlines and regional carriers. From experience, transatlantic flights departing from ATH are usually going to be easiest and cheapest on Sky Team and Olympic, so we are using Aegean mostly domestically and short haul. Aegean's fares I find are also among the lowest.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by c0untryb0y
Eligible Star Alliance miles earned. It is too good and too easy.

This is because Aegean is only a regional carrier in Greece and on paper would appear to be harder to earn miles on Star Alliance metal over there.

Keep in mind it's easier to earn miles on Star Alliance in North America, being served locally by so many flights with United, US Airways, Lufthansa, Air Canada, whereas (with the exception of maybe Lufthansa) Greek hubs are served mainly by Olympic, the big Sky Team airlines and regional carriers. From experience, transatlantic flights departing from ATH are usually going to be easiest and cheapest on Sky Team and Olympic, so we are using Aegean mostly domestically and short haul. Aegean's fares I find are also among the lowest.
Not that it matters much as far as the original question is concerned, but:

1) Olympic Airways (a new company!) has no TATL flights.
2) DL will no longer fly to/from ATH (at least not in 2013)
3) AC seems to be the only one that will offer TATL flights this year, unless I'm really mistaken.

In other words, most people flying to the Americas (and, by the way, Asia, Africa and Australia too), have to fly with a non-Greek airline to a European hub and change there.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:20 am

Programs: Alitalia Mille Miglia, KLM/Air France Flying Blue, Aegean Miles&Bonus, Priority Club, HHonors
Originally Posted by KLouis
Not that it matters much as far as the original question is concerned, but:

1) Olympic Airways (a new company!) has no TATL flights.
2) DL will no longer fly to/from ATH (at least not in 2013)
3) AC seems to be the only one that will offer TATL flights this year, unless I'm really mistaken.

In other words, most people flying to the Americas (and, by the way, Asia, Africa and Australia too), have to fly with a non-Greek airline to a European hub and change there.
Exactly. AC I think will fly direct to Canada (I think) but I've found it to always be more expensive than KLM/AF/AZ. Cheapest flights out of ATH will usually be connecting flights through Europe and not on Star Alliance unless you are lucky with days and sales. This makes it harder (seemingly) if you're based out of ATH to earn on Star Alliance if you fly exclusively TATL. Not sure if Swiss Air flies TATL from ATH, but they are really expensive.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by c0untryb0y
Exactly. AC I think will fly direct to Canada (I think) but I've found it to always be more expensive than KLM/AF/AZ. Cheapest flights out of ATH will usually be connecting flights through Europe and not on Star Alliance unless you are lucky with days and sales. This makes it harder (seemingly) if you're based out of ATH to earn on Star Alliance if you fly exclusively TATL. Not sure if Swiss Air flies TATL from ATH, but they are really expensive.
Well, I flew 4 TATLs out of ATH last year, all in business: LAX with AF, GIG with BA, JFK with LX and ATL with AZ. In three cases, the flights were chosen on the basis of price, with the exception of LAX (AF because I wanted to fly the A380). In previous years I flew twice to ORD with TK and very often with LX and AF. You can often find cheap flights with both LH and LX, this varies during the year and you never know in advance, while TK seems to have risen a lot their prices out of ATH. Still, there are enough choices for TATL flights out of ATH if you want to be on a *A flight, and the partner airlines are not really that much more expensive than the other alliances, at least in business.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Well, I flew 4 TATLs out of ATH last year, all in business: LAX with AF, GIG with BA, JFK with LX and ATL with AZ. In three cases, the flights were chosen on the basis of price, with the exception of LAX (AF because I wanted to fly the A380). In previous years I flew twice to ORD with TK and very often with LX and AF. You can often find cheap flights with both LH and LX, this varies during the year and you never know in advance, while TK seems to have risen a lot their prices out of ATH. Still, there are enough choices for TATL flights out of ATH if you want to be on a *A flight, and the partner airlines are not really that much more expensive than the other alliances, at least in business.
Yeah, I find it's hit or miss from ATH depending on what time of year and when you book and destination airport. And even from your experience, 3 out 4 were not Star Alliance. Whereas on the other side of the ocean you have almost no choice but to be on Star Alliance.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: LH M&M Silver, A6 M&B Gold, CX MP Silver, EK SW Silver
Thank you Richelieu for this fantastic FAQ covering a lot of the common questions that us A3 *G status holders frequently encounter.

3g. Getting benefits while crediting to another programme

It is possible to use a *A card to get benefits, like lounge access, while crediting the miles to another programme. PNRs have two different fields for entering the mileage programme used for credit (FQTV) and benefits (FQTS). Nothing in the term and conditions say you can't. It has been rumored that A3 is frowning upon that but it's unsubstantiated so far. This FAQ will we updated if A3 introduces crediting requirements in the future.
Just to let you guys know that I have heard of an issue with the situation described above. I have a friend currently battling a case with LH who are not crediting miles from a TK flight on to his Miles and More account after using a A3 *G card to access the TK Lounge Istanbul. The original boarding passes indicate LH * status. LH claims that TK is not confirming the miles were earned.

I will let you guys know when I find out more/if the situation gets resolved.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The M&B call center is really just the reservations call center and can only book awards, retroclaims etc. Is there anyway to actually reach the M&B people except via email? I don't know many full service airlines that do this.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:45 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by hugolover
The M&B call center is really just the reservations call center and can only book awards, retroclaims etc. Is there anyway to actually reach the M&B people except via email? I don't know many full service airlines that do this.
What are you trying to do?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by thskyisthelimit
I'm going to travel a lot on SQ and i've booked the flights that will always be overbooked in Y.

Let's see if A3 Gold will bump me upwards, though SQ is known for their stringent upgrading policies.
Can you tell us if you got bumped up? And if SQ honours A3 Gold?

I ask as I oscillate between KF silver and gold due to my flying patterns (priority goes to maintaining CX DM) but would like a programme that will give me *G so am considering going with Aegean.

Last edited by KACommuter; Mar 30, 2013 at 11:56 pm Reason: additional question
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Richelieu
6. Tips and good value

Unlike other *A programmes, A3 groups North Africa and Europe in the same award zone. Flying from Europe to Egypt or Israel don't cost more than from Germany to France.
I´m curious whether anyone has actually been successful in booking a Europe-Israel award for 25k in Y / 42k in C as Israel is not technically in Northern Africa, but in Asia?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I´m curious whether anyone has actually been successful in booking a Europe-Israel award for 25k in Y / 42k in C as Israel is not technically in Northern Africa, but in Asia?
Technically?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.