Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A3 Star Gold dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
A3 Star Gold dilemma

I will likely be able to qualify for Star Gold thru A3 this year and have a few questions.

1. Since Ive been building miles with UA for some years, I only want to credit a few flights to A3 to qualify for Gold. Since its only about 20,000 for an ORD based flier, that can't do much for me, especially as A3 doesn't allow miles to be used for Star Alliance upgrades. Is getting Star Hold worth 19,000 orphaned miles?

2. Will Star Gold on A3 get me the same benefits on UA/CO that they give their elites? (free economy plus, and unlimited upgrades)

3. I have an LX segment in march from ZRH to ORd which should qualify me for instant Star Silver. The "fare basis" LX gave me is WICSWIUS. What is the one letter booking code so I could determine of my miles will credit at 50% or 100%
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, Alaska G, LH, HHonors, Accor, Priority Club; Tufty Club Diamond
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
I will likely be able to qualify for Star Gold thru A3 this year and have a few questions.

1. Since Ive been building miles with UA for some years, I only want to credit a few flights to A3 to qualify for Gold. Since its only about 20,000 for an ORD based flier, that can't do much for me, especially as A3 doesn't allow miles to be used for Star Alliance upgrades. Is getting Star Hold worth 19,000 orphaned miles?
It is for me. I don't have Amex Platinum and I like lounge access a lot, it makes airports much more bearable. Plus (see below) it can convey some soft benefits like early boarding. And - sometimes, in my experience - economy plus, but not officially - see next reply.

2. Will Star Gold on A3 get me the same benefits on UA/CO that they give their elites? (free economy plus, and unlimited upgrades)
Not upgrades, no. Not a sniff. But I've been comped into E+ before now, by phoning up and asking nicely (on the basis that I'm 6'7")

3. I have an LX segment in march from ZRH to ORd which should qualify me for instant Star Silver. The "fare basis" LX gave me is WICSWIUS. What is the one letter booking code so I could determine of my miles will credit at 50% or 100%
It's usually the first letter, I believe, but others may correct that.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
That is something only you can answer - how much you value the lounge access and the no-fee bags?

No. Those are reserved for UA/CO elites.

I believe it is W and will get 100%. But others more experienced with Swiss booking code might correct me on that.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, Alaska G, LH, HHonors, Accor, Priority Club; Tufty Club Diamond
In addition to my answer above, I'm currently a BMI *G. With all the uncertainty about that program I'm doing exactly what you're considering - I'm putting 20k miles into A3 primarily for Status. Once I have that, I'm going to work out what's best based on what's actually happened to BMI diamond club, but my judgement is that 20k-or-so orphaned miles is worth it for the status.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
That is something only you can answer - how much you value the lounge access and the no-fee bags?

No. Those are reserved for UA/CO elites.

I believe it is W and will get 100%. But others more experienced with Swiss booking code might correct me on that.
Booking code W on swiss will get 100% miles as referenced by http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...n-miles/#SWISS
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

No upgrades to F, but when a seat is available and I ask nicely, I haven't missed an exit row/E+ yet. I generally have better luck on US than UACO though.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
No upgrades to F, but when a seat is available and I ask nicely, I haven't missed an exit row/E+ yet. I generally have better luck on US than UACO though.
Just "Excuse me. I'm *G and I'd be grateful if you have an E+ seat available"? During checkin? At the gate? Via reservation phone?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Once you've reached *G, sometime the lounge attendants will do it for you. Although, it will be quite hard to find a E+/exit row seat by the time you'll get to the lounge.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Your 19,000 miles don't have to be completely orphaned. You could use them for Hertz rentals, for example.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

1. As a UA flyer, the only benefit from A3 *G status would be domestic lounge access (assuming you already have *G w/UA) and possibly award redemption.

2. No and no. Relying on the goodwill of clueless agents is more gambling than a strategy, especially when they can simply sell you that E+ seat for a minor fee.

3. W
Old Jan 3, 2012, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
1. As a UA flyer, the only benefit from A3 *G status would be domestic lounge access (assuming you already have *G w/UA) and possibly award redemption.
I'm assuming the OP doesn't have UA *G and is looking to use A3 to get this status more easily. I personally wouldn't be sure of flying enough miles in a year to get UA *G, with my flying limited to 3-4 economy TATLs per year and a bunch of european short haul flights in the cheapest available seats. Whereas with A3 I can make *G in any given year with room to spare.

Hence from my own point of view 19K miles for *G with A3 is a really great option, because I certainly value worldwide lounge access and additional perks as being worth it. It's the nice little things like being able to get my other half into lounges when we travel on holiday.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:20 pm
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
If you put 25,000 miles in your A3 account, then you will be able to redeem a free North America to North America return ticket on a *A carrier according to A3's redemption table.
http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...n/spend-miles/

So these will not be lost or "orphaned". Or as legalalien said earlier, you can use them for a car rental, 20k miles get you a 7 days rental for a small car (conditions and limited mileage apply).
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Plusflyer
Just "Excuse me. I'm *G and I'd be grateful if you have an E+ seat available"? During checkin? At the gate? Via reservation phone?
Phone is a waste of time, but ask at the airport. If checkin person says no, thank them and go to the lounge. If lounge person says no, then thank them and go to the gate. If the gate agent says no, then you're stuck I suppose.

It's following the "if you don't like the answer, hang up and call back" philosophy except that it is in person.
It's not worth it for a 1 hour commuter hop, but on transcons it makes a world of difference.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
I would go for A3 *G if you would meet the required number of miles in a year's flying or less. It is a good set of benefits to have and (at the moment) fairly easy to maintain.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Originally Posted by legalalien
Your 19,000 miles don't have to be completely orphaned. You could use them for Hertz rentals, for example.
IIRC A3 requires only 25000 for North America to the Caribbean, which is a bit of an anomoly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.