Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Blue status on Aegean = Silver on Star Alliance?

Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver

I remember someone said that the best way to earn status on Star Alliance is through Aegean Airlines. Basically he told me to register, get 1000 miles for registering and then 3000 additional miles would bump me to their "blue" status. And then, he said, do a status match.

I understand their miles are somewhat different from regular miles, I can see this from their table. However, what did he mean by "status match"?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:37 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Usually status on an airline within the alliance will not be matched by others in the same alliance. You may have to call another alliance airline (OW/ST) competing with A3, then match from there to another *A. That being said, you can get *A silver quite easily on A3. Why do a status match to anybody else? You can get to *A G easily with 20k miles, but that gives lounge access here for 1 year for free. Then the miles are quite useless. I think OZ is much better. You have to get 40k over 2 years, but you get to keep these miles for a bit longer.

Read the blogs on our own FT July 2 - Global traveler. If you fly just 3k miles on A3 or LH, you get *A silver and free bags.
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/theglo...s-with-aegean/
In order to register Miles in an Account the Member must have actually flown on the corresponding flight. Miles are earned and registered for every fare-based ticket published in the AEGEAN fare list, in accordance with the applicable Τables. No Miles are registered on free or discounted fares, on special offer fares, on barter agreements fares, or on charter flight fares. Tickets issued on a fare not included in the published AEGEAN fare list, do not earn Miles. Miles can be earned on flights performed by Aegean or Lufthansa. Miles can only be redeemed on flights performed by Aegean or Lufthansa.
The award chart is posted here.
http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...?code=nolimits

I looked into it and what held me off from going all in as usual was a little problem under the terms.
http://en.aegeanair.com/MilesAndBonu...code=termsCond
The only problem is that if you change an award, you lose 50% of the miles!

CHAPTER 4: AEGEAN - MILE REDEMPTION WITH AIRLINE TICKETS

Members must have collected an adequate number of valid Miles in order to exchange and redeem them against a special offer airline ticket – (hereinafter "Ticket"), in accordance with the applicable Mile Redemption Tables (Table 2). The Ticket shall relate to a domestic or foreign destination within the AEGEAN scheduled flights network. To learn more about the mile redemption process, please call AEGEAN on 801 11 2000 from landline phones or at (+30) 210 6261000 from mobile phones or from abroad.
The ticket is issued simultaneously with the reservation, and the corresponding Miles are automatically deducted from the Member’s Account. The ticket should be reserved at least 7 days before the desired date of departure by the Member, for domestic flights, and 14 days earlier, for international flights. Where the passenger has requested issuance of a ticket at an AEGEAN airport desk, then the corresponding miles will be deducted irrespective of whether the ticket is finally issued or not.
Tickets issued by redeeming Miles in this way are subject to the seat availability. AEGEAN may limit or exclude the availability of the seats exchangeable with Miles for a particular flight or/and for various periods or/and for various destinations. General seat availability does not necessarily imply that a Ticket will be provided in accordance with the Programme.
The Member may transfer the right of obtain a Ticket to a relative or to any third party, who the Member may indicate in writing to the MILES & BONUS department.
Tickets shall be issued on a seat confirmed" basis.
Tickets cannot be issued on an "open" basis, namely with an open departure date or/and return date.
The booking and issuance of the Tickets is done solely and exclusively through AEGEAN ticket offices. Tickets cannot be issued by travel agencies.
No change of date or destination will be accepted on any issued Tickets.
When cancellation is requested for a booking at least 24 hours prior to the departure date, 50% of the respective redemption Miles for such bonus will be deducted from the Member’s Account. If cancellation of a booking is requested within a time period of less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure time, all relevant redemption Miles for the Ticket will automatically be deducted from the Member’s Account.
Cancellation of a booking or an issued Ticket may be requested by calling Aegean Airlines at 801 11 20000 from landline phones or at (+30) 210 6261000 from mobile phones or from abroad (Monday to Sunday from 07:00 to 23:00).
In the case of a no show passenger (when the passenger, having issued the Ticket does not show at the airport to fly without notifying AEGEAN), the Ticket is automatically cancelled and the relevant Miles are deducted from the Member’s Account.
The following black-out periods will apply with respect to the use of the Tickets: from 1/1 up to and including 8/1 each year, the Clean Monday period each year, the Holy Week period for both Orthodox and Catholic Easter each year, the 1st May period each year, the Pentecost period, the period from 12/8 up to and including 18/8 each year, the period from 25/10 up to and including 28/10 each year, the period of 25/03 each year and the period from 23/12 up to and including 31/12 each year.
Change of class of service cannot be accepted after the Ticket is issued.
Note that Tickets do not include taxes, airport duties, A.I.A. (Athens International Airport) charges, insurance surcharges, as well as any additional charge or duty (all together hereinafter "Charges") imposed by any Government Authority. Charges are payable by the Member and are due when the Ticket is issued.
Redemption tickets issued through the Aegean Airlines call centre are not subject to transaction fees. Redemption tickets issued through other AEGEAN points of sale are subject to transaction fees of 14 euro for domestic flights and 20 euro for international flights.
No refund will be made by AEGEAN in case of lost or stolen Tickets.
Carriage by air of passengers by AEGEAN is subject to the Aegean Airlines S.A. conditions of carriage and to the applicable legislation in force relating to carriage by air.

Last edited by ffI; Aug 8, 2010 at 7:42 am Reason: added much more info on why I am not interested
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Thank you for valuable info!

In a month, I am flying with a LH flight operated by AirCanada BOS-LHR, and PAR-BOS, the fares are SKX6NCE and SKWNC95N.

And another thing is US-Canada flight considered "international" by Aegean?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by iggyray
And another thing is US-Canada flight considered "international"... ?
As long as U.S. and Canada are two different countries, those US-Canada flights are "inter"-national.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:48 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Star Silver status

How many miles does one need? Specifically, flying on United airlies but crediting to A3? Thank you
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:42 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by asnovici
How many miles does one need? Specifically, flying on United airlies but crediting to A3? Thank you
When you sign up, you'll be given a 1,000 mile bonus. Fly 3,000 miles for Aegean Blue = * Silver.

After you reach *S, fly 16,000 miles more for Aegean Gold = *Gold

This is the mileage earning chart for Aegean, linked to the UA chart: http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...-miles/#UNITED

Note that fare classes W, S, T, L, K, G only get 50% mileage accrual, but have a 500-mile minimum . On the other hand, all US Airways booking classes earn 100% mileage but do not have the 500-mile minimum.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 4:51 am

I have Star Alliance Silver from Aegean

Aegean sent me a nice blue card with a Star Alliance silver logo on the back, with "12/2014" embossed on the front. It took more than a month for me to receive the card (actually, I received more than one, because I had ordered a replacement by the time the first card arrived). You can earn status miles for Aegean on most Star Alliance flights, not just Lufthansa, although there is a multiplier or discount depending on booking class. See the chart at http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...on/earn-miles/ for details.

I think Continental honored this status for me last year when they gave me an allowance of six free checked bags for the three person group I booked on a domestic US flight (3 for having their credit card + 3 for Star Alliance Silver status, I infer). By the way, I believe that is a perk that Star Alliance actually does not require of its member airlines, but rather something CO does to attract *A silvers.

I have never heard of any airline doing a status match against Aegean.

I had expected the Aegean deal to end with their merger with Olympic Air, which has a less generous program, as I thought the plan was for the new airline to remain in Star Alliance but use the Olympic name. However, in March, European Union authorities blocked the merger, according to http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...72105P20110302 . I have not been following events since then.

Last edited by skynerd; Oct 10, 2011 at 4:53 am Reason: "in May" --> "in March" for when merger was blocked
Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:49 pm

There are a couple of airlines that do match competitor status- Virgin Australia was doing status matches- so Star Gold (19K) miles on Aegean gets Velocity Gold status, which gives free SkyClub acess with a same day Delta flight- as well as status in either Hilton or PC.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
There are a couple of airlines that do match competitor status- Virgin Australia was doing status matches- so Star Gold (19K) miles on Aegean gets Velocity Gold status, which gives free SkyClub acess with a same day Delta flight- as well as status in either Hilton or PC.
Some airlines sometimes do status matches for some competitors. Are you or are you not aware of any airline ever matching status from Aegean? If so, I will be surprised, and I think readers of this thread would be interested in any details you care to share.

Edit 10/10/2011: I wish to apologize for the snotty tone of this previous paragraph. I would still be surprised if anyone matched Aegean status, but Miles Buzz is pretty much a whole forum full of surprisingly generous offers, so I would just be "pleasantly surprised."

Last edited by skynerd; Oct 10, 2011 at 8:41 pm
Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:50 am

VA was status matching ALL competitor airlines (so every airlines except those who are FFP partners)- including Aegean.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Being that I and my wife live in Greece approx 6 months a year, is there any way to take advantage of our location to get status on Aegean that would benefit us in our TATL ATH NYC Area flights 2-3 per year.

Or any other flights that we once yearly fly from ATH to some other european capital . This is all leisure so 16 k miles is not feasible for status. Doesn't agean offer any CC bonus for instant status LOL Like the 3 Citi cards I just got for 225 k miles in AA .

BOY am I becoming a FT HOG.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: UA/CL, DL Silver, AA
Status doesn't work if I'm not flying on that FF #, right? that is to say, there's no point using 4000 upcoming flight miles to earn annual silver on Aegean unless my future *A flights are going to be on my Aegean FF#... and with about 50,000 CO/UA miles in the bank and Aegean's lower earning capacity that doesn't make much sense.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 4:16 pm

Yes, you only earn Aegean miles if you credit your flights to them- that by definition means that you won't earn UA/CO miles for that flight.

Though Aegean does have some very good redemptions- 90K in business class (equal with Aeroplan and better than UA/CO/US/AA/DL), and 90K to North Africa as well- which is a great deal.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 2:04 am

Programs: UA/CL, DL Silver, AA
Sorry, bedford, I think I asked unclearly. Let me try and do better.

I have an upcoming transat RT purchased through Continental which I expect to earn about 8000 OnePass Miles. I could put the second half on Aegean miles after registering for an Aegean account, which would get me Blue status and the associated *A silver benefits.

HOWEVER: I would only receive those benefits (as I understand it) if and when I registered my Aegean FF# on future flights. Aegean doesn't have great earning, as a rule, and I have a pile of CO/UA miles already. It's likely that on future *A flights I will want to earn with CO/UA. So I think I'd get *A status this way... but never use it.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:30 am

No, your Aegean Gold (or silver) status is valid on all *A flights regardless of which program you are crediting to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.