Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel report

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2004, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Novotel Paris Tour Eiffel report

We recently completed a Christmas week stay at this property. It used to be a Hotel Nikko.

We had a superior type room with a queen bed and sofa sleeper for the kids. Room was nice but the bed was ROCK hard. We wound up sleeping on top of the duvet just to get a little padding under us. Must have been the Japanese influence because it felt like sleeping on the floor.

Food was extremely expensive in the hotel. Had a nice health spa and pool.

Location was best feature. It's on the Seine near Pont l'Alma within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower. It's part of a development that includes apartment high rises and a shopping center. We had no problems finding cafes, patisseries and even a McDo (McDonalds) around the corner. There's also a Monoprix department store (including groceries), wine/liquor store, movie theater with VO (Voice Originale, i.e English) versions of movies and a bowling alley nearby. Neighborhood is primarily residential with some corporate offices. Seemed very safe. One nice thing was the fact that you could walk from the hotel to the shopping center under cover and avoid the rain.

Transportation was convenient, too. There are two RER (train stations) and one Metro stations within 5 minutes walk of the hotel. The RER stations are part of the Metro system inside the city so you have plenty of options to get somewhere. It's also on the line to Versailles.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 3:38 am

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
Thanks for the post. What are the rates like?
Old Jan 3, 2004, 1:21 pm

I booked through priceline.com for about Euro 100. I did not like the hotel .. they had some renovation work going on.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
We paid 160 EU for a superior room, 2 adults, 2 children. There were cheaper rates, all through the Accor web site.

We did notice something going on the last morning we were there. Some sort of drilling started up about 10am somewhere on the floor. Otherwise, I didn't see any work being done.

If they'd just ditch the hard beds, I'd stay there again. The price for a family isn't bad for central Paris.

This was our first trip to Paris, so I had to do a lot of research to find a family friendly hotel. We had originally booked the Marriott Courtyard Neuilly Seine. It was about the same price for a queen bed suite with sofa bed and small kitchen. But it seemed too isolated for us. I've found that having shopping and transportation close by are very important when traveling with children. Wandering around in the evening looking for things just doesn't work with kids.

[This message has been edited by GeorgeBurdell (edited Jan 03, 2004).]
Old Jan 3, 2004, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Did you happen to notice if the swimming pool was open and available for use? Apparently the pool was closed for repaired last summer.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 8:19 am
Original Poster

The pool and workout areas were open. Looked nice although we didn't get a chance to swim. Fee is 4 EU for adults.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: JAL DMD, Hildon DMD, Velocity Plat
Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently? I have an upcoming 5 day stay in Sept 2016 and would like to check if it has been reviewed.

Also, could we move this to the Le Club Accor forum please?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by brooding
Also, could we move this to the Le Club Accor forum please?
It should be, indeed.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:50 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
So ordered

Jouy31
France forum moderator
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:57 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Thanks for this review GeorgeBurdell.

If you like the location, I may suggest the suite in the Mercure Tour Eiffel the next time around. You'll find my review here. Great for the growing kids as it has also a sofa bed.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:36 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
When booking the Mercure Tour Eiffel (highly recommended!), make sure to book the right hotel in rue Jean Rey, as there is more than one Mercure with "Tour Eiffel" in the name.

And to add some trivia, the Novotel Tour Eiffel is the world's largest Novotel by room count and was originally built as a Japanese Hotel Nikko - hence the unusual architecture (e.g. windows) and teppaniyaki restaurant.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: JAL DMD, Hildon DMD, Velocity Plat
I'm in the middle of a 5 night stay at this hotel. I wanted to provide my impressions.

Rate:
I stayed here during a conference so we used a conference rate.

While on the map it might look like in the middle of Paris, there is not actually that much that is interesting near the hotel. There is a mall next door, but pretty much there is a gritty industrial area full of brutalist 70's concrete and steel structures which are showing their age. You'll need to walk 15mins to an area that is more recognisable as Paris, or it seems to have a meal at one of the lovely Parisian sidewalk restaurants.

Check in:
There was an elite line for Accor elites, however I joined the normal line. I asked for a room with a view but was given a 'city view' (see below). Check in was efficient as I had done online check in (but for Accor this does not mean you get to choose a room if you do OLCI).

Breakfast:
Avoid if possible. Scrambled eggs are from powder. Bacon is overcooked, oily and twisted. Boiled eggs are fine. Coffee and tea is available. The best part are the crepes. Nothing else to speak of. No omelette station.

Room:
There is one bottle of water provided in the tiny fridge. The good news is it is refilled on days you take out the original bottle, otherwise there is no new bottle.

The room itself is larger than I had imagined a Paris hotel to be, but maybe it is because my room has an unusual configuration. I'm on the 20th floor and the view is of a concrete jungle looking away from the river.

Carpet is well and truly past its use by date and should be replaced. Slippers and bathrobe not provided. Iron or board not provided.

The sheets are not changed at all unless you place the card on the bed.

Bathroom:
Sink is plastic and showing its age. Shower recess has a plastic floor and soap holder which is no longer fully horizontal.

Gym/pool:
Hours posted at the front of the gym say it opens at 7am weekdays. When I tried to enter at 7.05, there was no one there. Hours posted about the gym at other parts of the hotel say it opens at 8am. Strange hours.

In any case, I shouldn't have bothered. Upon trying the gym, basically the weights are in the hallway next to the pool, and are very old. There are some ancient machines. The pool is good in the Summer but it is maybe only 10m long.

I hope the above is a good reflection of the hotel overall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.