Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Advice kindly sought • Sofitel T-5 LHR & ESPA spa access/Priority Pass

Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Firstly, many thanks for bothering to read this -- I greatly appreciate it.

I just wondered if any FTers had recent experience of trying to access the ESPA spa facility located on the -1 floor level within the Sofitel Hotel at T-5 LHR? And, specifically, using the sauna/steam room/jacuzzi area within the spa complex and not simply the showers?

The reason for asking is this:

In late 2016, I visited the ESPA facility twice. On the first occasion, I was told that I could only use the shower facilities and that I would have to pay extra to use the sauna/steam room/jacuzzi facilities, so that I ended up paying an additional charge of £25.00. However, upon leaving the ESPA facility later in the evening the ESPA manager subsequently informed me that a mistake had been made and that I was actually entitled to use the sauna/steam room/jacuzzi facilities for free with my Priority Pass card (for reference, I have the top tier PP level membership) -- she even brandished a T&Cs manual (which I didn't scrutinise at the time as I simply took her at her word) to reassure me that this was the case and that I was freely entitled to use these facilities gratis -- and I was subsequently given a refund for the original £25.00 outlay.

Then, when I returned to the same ESPA spa facility perhaps six weeks later, I was told something completely different: namely, that no, I was actually NOT entitled to use the sauna/steam room/jacuzzi for free, but only the shower facility in the complex! This was very embarrassing, to be honest, as this entirely contradicted what the ESPA manager had previously told me and initially I stood my ground based around this previous information.

Do any FTers have a definitive line on the current access policy to the sauna/jacuzzi area, either way?

I have emailed Priority Pass twice now for an answer but they have failed to answer the question.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:49 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
As far as I remember a review concerning the lounge access over a year ago. It did also mention the spa showers should only be available. It would be completely amazing that a priority pass holder would have access to the whole spa when even accor platinum members do not get such access unless they book a prestige suite or higher in the hotel which means no privilege as anyone who books those rooms get access anyway.

I would think you got lucky last time and while it could happen again the rules probably limit you to the showers only. Who knows you might get lucky again..
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Tris -- many thanks for the above.

Doubtless, you're spot-on, too: I must have been lucky on my previous visit. Even though I am Accor Platinum myself, I had hoped this might have been a way to circumvent paying £25.00 to visit the spa which I'd probably only use for an hour or so (to be clear, I'm not "one of those guys" who brazenly flouts rules or tries to get something for nothing all the time), so perhaps I'll have to cough up the money next time.

Still, the devil in does wonder if I could once try to sneak from the showers into the spa area.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:57 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

From your opinion would the 25 pounds be worth the visit, booking the prestige suite or skipping it? We decided not last time as we arrived at 6pm and were flying out at 8:30am. But if we had more of an afternoon at the hotel it would be something to do..

The crap thing with this Sofitel, you either book the junior suite and get the prestige suite (without the spa benefit). Or you purchase the prestige suite get the spa benefit but they wont allow any room upgrade..

I do believe in trying it on. But some people go the wrong way with it. I will only push things if it says it clearly with the rules and I can prove something is not quite right...(rooms still selling online a few hours before check-in). I might bend rules like oh maybe 1 day off here but still will mention its my wife's birthday.. We did get a nice gift even though the check out date was her birthday.

Or more common issue I find is I book 1 room with lounge benefits (Usually a junior suite) and 1 room without lounge benefits for a total of 3 adults for the 2 rooms.

Only to find on walking into the lounge.. they said oh I am sorry that room can't have lounge access but you are for your suite room. I say well actually I am staying in the cheaper room without access but plat still are allowed to use the lounge and my mother in law is in the suite. Some might think its bending the rules? Personally I don't think so. Anyway it gets resolved each time but it is a nuisance.

Last edited by tris06; Apr 12, 2017 at 8:02 pm
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Tris -- on the latter point, I entirely agree: I would do the same thing about lounge access in the case of three adults spread over two rooms, one of which rooms doesn't automatically have lounge access but which you can nonetheless access with your status. As regards this particular hotel, I will confess quite a liking for it, but that needs to be seen in context: I'm a Brit, who tends to see LHR hotels as largely rubbish and this is one where I feel, in the main, the service is pretty good. Saying that, I recently stayed at the Hilton T-4 for the first time and was actually very impressed. Prior to staying at this Sofitel, I had been a long-time fan of the Sheraton Skyline, but the Sofitel has edged it for me in recent years, but much of this has to do with convenience in respect of proximity to T-5 and BA flights.

What I don't like, though, is the lounge here: the offerings are slim pickings indeed and I don't especially like being continually asked to account for which room I'm staying in -- it makes me feel a little awkward about being in there. When I shouldn't feel awkward.

Returning to whether I think GBP 25.00 is worth it, Tris, for the spa, I would actually say yes, it was. Why? Mainly as, if you time it right, you can squeeze in two (or more) spa visits: GBP 25.00 buys you 24 hours of access, you see (which you may already know). So, if you were to purchase your ticket at 6.45pm on a Tuesday evening, then you could have a nice late evening spa and then treat yourself to another post-breakfast spa on the Wednesday morning. The spa itself is nice, too: I find it very relaxing considering I'm just above one of the world's busiest airports. In fact, I will be using it again one week today: I've managed to bag a couple of F seats en route to HKG and KIX next Monday with BA, so will stay at the Sofitel the night before. I will look to use the spa the night before and probably on the morning of my flight, before then using the new BA First Wing... I would pay 25 GBP for this, although, having P/Pass, then I might try it on and avoid paying! (I have tried contacting P/Pass about what the reality is about this spa and access -- is it showers-only or not -- and so far I have had two different answers to the same question from them!) Nonetheless, if I don't end up trying it on, then again, I still think GBP 25.00 is okay, but only really if you get to use the spa twice (or more). What I would add is that in the relaxation room -- area with post-jacuzzi loungers, magazines, coffee machine, zen music, etc. -- it is regularly "out of stock" in the way of fruit, coffee pods, etc. This is the rule, not the exception, as I visit this hotel/spa perhaps once a quarter on average.

As to the junior suite/prestige suite rules, I think it is ridiculous, Tris, that they should not allow a room upgrade with status with a prestige suite booking. That kind of thing does stick in my craw, as it must do yours.

Originally Posted by tris06
From your opinion would the 25 pounds be worth the visit, booking the prestige suite or skipping it? We decided not last time as we arrived at 6pm and were flying out at 8:30am. But if we had more of an afternoon at the hotel it would be something to do..

The crap thing with this Sofitel, you either book the junior suite and get the prestige suite (without the spa benefit). Or you purchase the prestige suite get the spa benefit but they wont allow any room upgrade..

I do believe in trying it on. But some people go the wrong way with it. I will only push things if it says it clearly with the rules and I can prove something is not quite right...(rooms still selling online a few hours before check-in). I might bend rules like oh maybe 1 day off here but still will mention its my wife's birthday.. We did get a nice gift even though the check out date was her birthday.

Or more common issue I find is I book 1 room with lounge benefits (Usually a junior suite) and 1 room without lounge benefits for a total of 3 adults for the 2 rooms.

Only to find on walking into the lounge.. they said oh I am sorry that room can't have lounge access but you are for your suite room. I say well actually I am staying in the cheaper room without access but plat still are allowed to use the lounge and my mother in law is in the suite. Some might think its bending the rules? Personally I don't think so. Anyway it gets resolved each time but it is a nuisance.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:28 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks for that scoob72. I will consider trying it 1 time. Considering we have a toddler now I think we can rule that out for a while but if we had a 3rd Adult with us we could maybe try it out one day.

Our flight will always leave early morning to Amsterdam to connect to another flight, even too early to enjoy the breakfast in the lounge. Plus as we might only have 2 adults going instead of the original 3 we may consider a smaller room (Superior/Luxury booking). Although with the new CI flight only going to Gatwick from the end of 2017 we might try that Sofitel instead after this trip coming soon.

I agree the lounge food is so limited it really makes it almost pointless. I think unless you had a good late lunch then you will want to go to one of the restaurants for dinner. Myself I do try to lower my intake the night before flying as I always eat too much in the lounges.

The service on the whole was good at LHR Sofitel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.