Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rio de Janeiro properties

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Rio de Janeiro properties

Any experiences with properties in Rio?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Yes if you are interested in the beach, Copacabana or Ipanema, Mercure Arpoador is perfectly OK.

The Sofitel (ex Meridien) in Copacabana is a little nicer but will cost you about 3 times as much.

The Botafogo hotels are cheaper and conveniently attached to the shopping centre and you can walk down to Copacabana from there.

Brazil hotels don't have a kettle or coffee machine in the room but they often provide a microwave.

No need to take breakfast at the hotel, there's some wonderful paderias (bakery-cafe's) one block behind the esplanade.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
The only hotel I stayed is Sofitel.
Location is just perfect
Staff is smiling, attentive and professional
View (if any) is superb
Breakfast is very good
Pools are small but pleasant.
Club lounge is OK

But rooms are small and dated
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Novotel Santos Dumont at New Year because Copa and Ipanema hotels were crazy expensive. It was quite good. Walked next door to the Ibis for breakfast, it's only about US$6. Location not great but actually near plenty of stuff in centro. Then moved to the Ibis Botafogo and it's just great! Really depends on your budget for what you want.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thanks. Wondered what became of the Meridien where we stayed back in the mid-80s. Does the Santos Dumont Novotel have an executive/club loungs? For me the location is appealing since it's near the museums and galleries, of more interest to me than the beaches.

Whenever I've booked an Ibis and there's a Mercure or other higher end properties nearby, I've been "upgraded" to the sister property at no additional cost?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:20 am
Suspended

Sofitel is the nicest hotel in Ipanema/Copacabana?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:33 pm

But it is not the former Meridien which is now a Windsor Hotel and located down at the Leme end of Copacabana on the corner of Atlantica and Princesa Isabel.It had a brief and clearly unsuccessful incarnation as an Iberostar between its Meridien and Windsor lives.
The Sofitel has been the Sofitel as long as I can remember (which these days is about 5 minutes)
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
The Belmond Copacabana Palace looks nicer, but cost 75% more... so I'm staying at the Sofitel in October.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
The Belmond Copacabana Palace looks nicer, but cost 75% more... so I'm staying at the Sofitel in October.
Sure, but the Belmond is also farther away from Ipanema.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Of course not.
Fasano and Copacaban aPalace are not exactly in the same league for Ipanema and Copacabana.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Any idea what a good rate is for the Sofitel during September? Right now the most basic room is about $170/night.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Any idea what a good rate is for the Sofitel during September? Right now the most basic room is about $170/night.
Tried to book an ocean-view room on Orbitz for this rate today but got an error saying the hotel was sold out. Yeah right.
Went to Sofitel and got a rate of $250/night culminating in a grand total of $2000 for the week (non-refundable) as the scam "10% tax rate" was only added at the very end.
Suffice to say, no thank you. WiFi and breakfast was also not included.

Ended up booking the next door Miramar for 30% less INCLUDING WiFi and BF (refundable).
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:56 am

Expect two new Ibis properties to open in Copacabana in the coming months.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:56 pm

Anyone with experience of the Sofitel Ipanema?
On weekends it's a lot cheaper than the one at copacabana
http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-...el/index.shtml

Also the one at copacabana adds
Service Charge on F&B : 10% (by night/ by room)
While the one at Ipanema don't?
Old May 25, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: Accor Gold, IHG Gold
Question

Somebody has a feedback on the "Grand Mercure Rio de Janeiro Riocentro"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.