Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rio de Janeiro properties

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Very little activity in this thread, surprising considering all the new Accor properties in Rio de Janeiro: Novotels in Botafogo and also Porto Maravilha, the Grand Mercure in Rio Centro, plus Ibis in Copacabana (Posto 2 and 5) and Porto and also Barra-- Mercure in Barra, etc.
All opened in 2016 around Olympic time.
What this did help with was that hotel prices in Rio are now MUCH more reasonable than even one year ago!
I've got the Novotel RJ Botafogo booked for Dec 27 to Jan 1.
I'll report back here how it goes.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I am going soon to MGallery Rio Santa Teresa and will of course report here about my stay
Old Dec 25, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kyushuman
All opened in 2016 around Olympic time.
What this did help with was that hotel prices in Rio are now MUCH more reasonable than even one year ago!
I think you're missing the main reason here: the massive recession in the country for the past 2 years.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by RafKa
I think you're missing the main reason here: the massive recession in the country for the past 2 years.
Well pointed out ! To proper understand the kind of Recession Brazil is enduring... It is the worst reported in Brazil, ever, at -3,5% down each year: 25% youngsters, jobless.

It started in second semester of 2014, still going on and hopefully shall end on first semester 2017.

Rio, in particular, is rather worse than rest of the country due to State Government economic issues. Business in the city is suffering.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 4:31 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Qantas Platinum
So as the original poster asked, anyone got suggestions about which property? I'm there in April and have been hoping the Sofitel Goes on sale, but it is expensive. Want to be near the beach and have a view if we can. And also lounge access.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PabloM
So as the original poster asked, anyone got suggestions about which property? I'm there in April and have been hoping the Sofitel Goes on sale, but it is expensive. Want to be near the beach and have a view if we can. And also lounge access.
Your only real option in this case is the Caesar Park. If you can do without a lounge, I'd recommend the Mercure Barra (Pepe), which has a great location opposite the beach, near bars and restaurants of Av Olegario Maciel, yet close enough to the rest of Zona Sul by Uber and the new metro line. Great rates here around U$50 and it's a brand new hotel, one of the better Mercures out there imo.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:31 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks all, with the Private sale on, I was able to get a good rate at the Sofitel Copacabana so ended up booking it. Can't wait to be there.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I am going soon to MGallery Rio Santa Teresa and will of course report here about my stay
Review just posted
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...e-janeiro.html
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I checked in last night to the Sofitel Rio Copacabana, and I'm absolutely disappointed, and wish I'd booked the Caesar.

Before booking it, I enquired on Platinum benefits, and got all the standards - room upgrade, welcome drink, Club Millesime access, welcome letter, daily newspaper etc.

On checkin, I was advised that they have closed the club, as the hotel is closing in 2 weeks time, and after either renovation or demolition (not sure which) it will become a Fairmont.

So no club accsss.

No room upgrade.

No welcome letter.

No welcome drink.

No daily newspaper.

No hot water in the shower this morning.

Crap hotel in need of demolition!!!

Anyway, I have complained this morning and all of a sudden they can move us to a Suite (one category higher than I booked) but I had a choice of either a room upgrade OR free breakfast!!

I am so unimpressed. They just don't care, and I suppose I can understand given it closes in 2 weeks.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

I checked in last night to the Sofitel Rio Copacabana, and I'm absolutely disappointed, and wish I'd booked the Caesar.

Before booking it, I enquired on Platinum benefits, and got all the standards - room upgrade, welcome drink, Club Millesime access, welcome letter, daily newspaper etc.

On checkin, I was advised that they have closed the club, as the hotel is closing in 2 weeks time, and after either renovation or demolition (not sure which) it will become a Fairmont.

So no club accsss.

No room upgrade.

No welcome letter.

No welcome drink.

No daily newspaper.

No hot water in the shower this morning.

Crap hotel in need of demolition!!!

Anyway, I have complained this morning and all of a sudden they can move us to a Suite (one category higher than I booked) but I had a choice of either a room upgrade OR free breakfast!!

I am so unimpressed. They just don't care, and I suppose I can understand given it closes in 2 weeks.
WOW
I knew that they were starting a renovation, but for a Fairmont what an insult !!
This being said, the bad reviews in general, including poor platinum treatment were the reasons to make me choose the MGallery Santa Teresa for my recent stay in Rio. And I don't regret it reading you and knowing how well I was treated there.
That's a shame. I hope the rest of your stay will be better.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:54 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Goldorak
WOW
I knew that they were starting a renovation, but for a Fairmont what an insult !!
This being said, the bad reviews in general, including poor platinum treatment were the reasons to make me choose the MGallery Santa Teresa for my recent stay in Rio. And I don't regret it reading you and knowing how well I was treated there.
That's a shame. I hope the rest of your stay will be better.
I had read your review before booking and almost booked Santa Teresa but I really wanted to be on Copacabana, so thought I'd risk it.

Since complaining yesterday morning, they have now upgraded us to a suite - top floor, front of the building with panorama views. TBH, it's probably one of the best rooms in the hotel.

Then last night they sent us a bottle of champaign with chocolates, and a welcome note (24hrs after we checked in!!)

And I got welcome drink vouchers now too.

So a slight improvement - and the view down the beach is fantastic - see below.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

I had read your review before booking and almost booked Santa Teresa but I really wanted to be on Copacabana, so thought I'd risk it.

Since complaining yesterday morning, they have now upgraded us to a suite - top floor, front of the building with panorama views. TBH, it's probably one of the best rooms in the hotel.

Then last night they sent us a bottle of champaign with chocolates, and a welcome note (24hrs after we checked in!!)

And I got welcome drink vouchers now too.

So a slight improvement - and the view down the beach is fantastic - see below.
Good recovery and a splendid view indeed. Enjoy
Even without staying at the Santa Teresa hotel, go there for dinner. The restaurant is top ^
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Did 5 nights at the new (opened last July for the Olympics) Novotel Botafogo. Had a slight upgrade to a nicer room, back-facing rooms can (kinda) see the Christ the Redeemer but more importantly are very quiet. Breakfast was decent, service was friendly. Had some very good Platinum weekend rates that I don't see anymore. Security was a bit much but it was tolerable. Got a bottle of sparkling wine as a welcome gift (very nice!) and then every room got a bottle of sparkling wine and commemorative champagne flutes on 12/31. Very nice again!
I really like Botafogo, it's quite safe and there is a shopping mall (Botafogo shopping) and a supermarket within a 10 minute walk. Also the subway. I'd stay again, though without a pool I can't say I'd stay there faster than an Ibis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.