Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Accorhotels in talks to buy Canada's FRHI (Fairmont, Raffles and Swissôtel )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:02 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

On Reuters:

Europe's largest hotel group Accor SA (ACCP.PA) is planning to buy Canada-based FRHI Hotels & Resorts for about $3 billion, The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday, citing sources....
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0SN2VU20151029
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:48 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Nice if it happens.

The Swissôtel and Raffles properties would be sensible, good quality additions and reasonably easy to incorporate into the Accor portfolio (possibly even keeping their current branding). Fairmont is a mixed bag -- there would probably be some disposals, a few Sofitels and a Pullman or two.

They must have been impressed by my suggestion in August's "Accor to buy Starwood?" thread.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:09 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by IMH
And they say Accor isn't listening
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
That's a scoop !
For Raffles, interesting situations to come in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and, to a lesser extent in Singapore
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:16 pm
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
If it happens the Fairmont brand would start to address Accors current weakness in the North American market which has got to be a positive.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by cwl
If it happens the Fairmont brand would start to address Accors current weakness in the North American market which has got to be a positive.
I agree that Accor is extremely weak here in NA. I'm wondering if Accor goes ahead with the purchase, whether these 3 brands will remain or be incorporated into existing brands (Sofitel, Pullman, MGallery).
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Very appropriate move to better balance the mix of properties between Economical, Traditional and Luxury brands.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 7:14 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I'm wondering if Accor goes ahead with the purchase, whether these 3 brands will remain or be incorporated into existing brands (Sofitel, Pullman, MGallery).
One would hope that they would put a lot of thought into deciding which properties to keep and how they should be branded and positioned. But that may be overly optimistic, as Accor's branding policy seems to be all over the place (see, for example, this recent thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...y-sofitel.html).
Old Oct 31, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMH
One would hope that they would put a lot of thought into deciding which properties to keep and how they should be branded and positioned. But that may be overly optimistic, as Accor's branding policy seems to be all over the place (see, for example, this recent thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor...y-sofitel.html).
This is what I hate about all of the major chains. Having a dozen or so brands under one umbrella is rediculous. The travel sector is not that segmented. 6 or 7 brands is probably more appropriate. Anything above that, people just get confused as to what the product is. Moreover, they need to stop with the multiple subdividing of the brands themselves. Like they're doing with MGallery. IHG had Holiday Inn and also Holiday Inn Resorts (and people can understand that). But Holiday Inn Select??? Those hotels should have just been branded as a Crowne Plaza.

Last edited by Fanjet; Oct 31, 2015 at 2:51 pm
Old Oct 31, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
These brands are too upscale for Accor. Other than Sofitel and Pullman, the bulk of Accor's hotels are geared toward budget conscious travelers. Accor's previous N. American presence were a better fit for Accor.

Accor owned Red Roof Inns 1999-2007 and Motel 6 1990-2012. I don't think that Accor ever incorporated either brand into their loyalty program.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 3:33 pm
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
These brands are too upscale for Accor. Other than Sofitel and Pullman, the bulk of Accor's hotels are geared toward budget conscious travelers. Accor's previous N. American presence were a better fit for Accor.

Accor owned Red Roof Inns 1999-2007 and Motel 6 1990-2012. I don't think that Accor ever incorporated either brand into their loyalty program.
That's why one could argue they are a good fit. Raffles could be retained as a brand and possibly Fairmont given the Canadian name recognition, Swissôtel is very bland and doesn't chime with anyone I know so could be dumped and rebranded. A number of hotels would certainly get the chop where there is too much overlap.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
If they keep the loyalty programs separate, like IHG has done so far with Kimpton, it would be OK. Accor's loyalty program is not at all comparable to Fairmont's.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
you obviously have little knowledge of Accor brands and presence (nothing wrong with that of course ). Accor has indeed a huge presence in the budget hotels market but has also a very important presence in the upscale market with Pullman, MGallery and Sofitel. We are talking about a lot of hotels here with those 3 brands.

The Accor. loyalty program did not exist at the time they had those motel chains (they just had the Sofitel program).

Originally Posted by starflyergold
That's why one could argue they are a good fit. Raffles could be retained as a brand and possibly Fairmont given the Canadian name recognition, Swissôtel is very bland and doesn't chime with anyone I know so could be dumped and rebranded. A number of hotels would certainly get the chop where there is too much overlap.
Fully agree.

If they keep the loyalty programs separate, like IHG has done so far with Kimpton, it would be OK. Accor's loyalty program is not at all comparable to Fairmont's.
I don't see the point of keeping existing loyalty programs after a few months of integration. Useless, costly and you completely loose the benefits of having a global group. A year should be a maximum before merging programs, like for airlines.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt that IHG is going to keep their loyalty programs separate much longer. What would be the point? There's no incentive for either program's members to stay at the other's hotels. And thus, what was the point of buying the brand in the first place? The same thing will be the case with Accor and this purchase.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 1:32 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC

Even with shoddy IT, the Accor program is on the UP, in my opinion.
So I'm sure are the new "father" Accor will integrate those hotels ASAP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.