Wiki Posts
Search

Accor Brand Perception

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Accor Brand Perception

Is it just me or does Accor feel a little cheap? Accor's websites and ads don't particularly make me want to book a night at one of their hotels, I think Accor should take a leaf out of Starwood's book as I think they have nailed the marketing side of things, their website is vibrant and interesting and very simple, compared the the ageing website that is Accor's.

Don't get me wrong, I love Accor's Sofitel and Pullman brands (amongst others), its just I think they need to improve their image and marketing as it seems to be lagging behind the other groups. I know a lot don't care, as its the hotel/room that matters in the end, but brand perception is very important to some, including me.

What does everyone else think?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
The Accor brand is only as good as its hotel sub-brands. Here's my two-pennyworth (entirely based on personal experience)

Hotel F1 - stayed many, many times
Totally basic, and usually located in a deserted business park or freight terminal, but undeniably cheap and the free WiFi is surprisingly good ! Staff usually friendly and helpful.

Ibis - stayed many, many times
Slightly better than basic, usually located in a marginal neighbourhood, can be good value, free WiFI OK. Staff vary from decent to atrocious.

Mercure - stayed a few times
Slightly better than basic, usually located in a OK neighbourhood, occasionally good value, free WiFI so-so. Staff OK.

Novotel / Suite Novotel - stayed many, many times
Decent 3-star comfort, usually located in a OK to good neighbourhood, usually good value, free WiFI rubbish !!! Staff usually friendly and helpful.

Sofitel - stayed a few times
Decent 4-star comfort, usually located in a good to very good neighbourhood, rarely good value, free WiFi barely acceptable, far too up itself for its own good, staff always seem to give the impression they are doing you a favour by allowing you to stay there...

P.S. Where are my bloody promotion points Sofitel LHR T5 ? 21 days since check-out and counting

Pullman - stayed once
5-star comfort, usually located in a very good neighbourhood, can be surprising good value for the quality, free WiFi excellent, staff excellent

All views are personal and open to challenge
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:16 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
My general perception of Accor properties is that they are formulaic and cookie cutter. But good value.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:12 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by sxc
My general perception of Accor properties is that they are formulaic and cookie cutter. But good value.
That's true up to and including Novotel. MGallery, Pullman and Sofitel tend to be quite unique properties.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Accor is also a group that operates very different in Europe, versus Asia, versus the US, etc. Each region can be wildly different across the brands.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
I think you're comparing two companies with different fact patterns.

Starwood has a big presence in the US market which is very competitive with several big players. Therefore innovation and customer service are a necessity toward differentiating itself from its competitors. That's the nature of being in a competitive market. Accor's main market is France where I believe it is the dominant chain. As the dominant player in its main market, the things you mentioned above are somewhat secondary. They fall under the nice to have but not absolutely necessary (regardless of what FTers like us like to think ).

I think it is also important to note that Accor has a lot more mid to lower tier properties (and brands) in its portfolio. As a parent company, it is therefore natural for Accor to have a different priority than Starwood. Personally, I don't see the Accor brand as being 'cheap'. As sxc mentioned above, Accor is about good value. I see Accor as a brand that provides clean and affordable accommodation which is consistent with its portfolio of hotels. Naturally I also wish for it to be a more functioning (and coherent) corporate parent but we cannot fault Accor for having a different focus than Starwood. It's a function of the (main) market they're operating in as well as the priority of their (main) customers.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by njf63
P.S. Where are my bloody promotion points Sofitel LHR T5 ? 21 days since check-out and counting
That's interesting, I am also waiting on a stay from the 2nd to post, anyone have the contact info for this place? I have the LHR@ and the email of the guest relations manager but neither seem to see fit to reply to emails...
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by soorox
Is it just me or does Accor feel a little cheap? Accor's websites and ads don't particularly make me want to book a night at one of their hotels, I think Accor should take a leaf out of Starwood's book as I think they have nailed the marketing side of things, their website is vibrant and interesting and very simple, compared the the ageing website that is Accor's.

Don't get me wrong, I love Accor's Sofitel and Pullman brands (amongst others), its just I think they need to improve their image and marketing as it seems to be lagging behind the other groups. I know a lot don't care, as its the hotel/room that matters in the end, but brand perception is very important to some, including me.

What does everyone else think?

I agree with you. Starwood has the best website, mobile and desktop wise. It's a joy to use it. Accor has a lot of catching up to do.

Can't say the same about its hotel portfolio though. Sofitel So beats W brand anytime. They don't anything matching the MGallery brand. Aloft is like Novotel but trying to be hip and fails most of the time. At least Novotel doesn't pretend to be. It's functional and the new design schemes are fresh which I like when I travel for business, not for vacationing though as it's too predictable.

Last edited by RJ77; Nov 24, 2014 at 7:54 am Reason: wrong spelling.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:42 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Accor Brand Perception

I put 20% weight on the Web interface and 80% on the actual stay. For what I need Accorhotels.com for, it does the job. I even book hotels using the app.
So overall, I am quite happy with the brand. I guess the fact that they have so many properties in Asia makes it very suitable for my travels.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Accor is generally very good for quality of service and food service.

Interior design and architecture (even most recent luxury properties) are generally terrible (with some exception : So Bangkok, for example).
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Accor Brand Perception

I have enjoyed the few Novotel's and Ibis properties that I've stayed at recently, however, I'm at a complete loss for words regarding how corporate is handling (or lack of) their recent accor promo, screwing customers by retro actively canceling the promotion and ignoring customer inquiries. Not ok by any stretch of the imagination! FT Accor rep has said for over a month now that we would hear back from corporate. Still waiting.

OK properties, but marketing & promotions department needs replaced entirely
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by soorox
Comparing Starwood to Accor is quite unfair since most of the Starwood properties are solid 4* and 5*. Meanwhile, Accor properties are varied; ranging from budget properties to 5*. However, I couldn't agree more that their website is not interesting. I even hate the login button where it is very hard to click if you are using smartphone. (But there's mobile application now so can't complain about it). Even if you are using laptop or PC, it is very annoying if you are (most of the time) failed to login when using it for the first time and especially the drop down menu for login. Hope that they would revamp their website; especially the login menu.

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
So overall, I am quite happy with the brand. I guess the fact that they have so many properties in Asia makes it very suitable for my travels.
Couldn't agree more, I love that they have many properties in Asia since most of my stays are within Asia.

Since I was gold and plat (mixed-sometimes going to Plat and down again to Gold; now I'm rebounced to Plat again ), I stayed in +-45 Accor properties. And here are my perceptions (My stay when I was silver was not counted):

Sofitel : only ever stayed in two different Sofitels. Both of my stays were excellent. Room upgrade, welcome gifts, late check-out, early check-in. Even Sofitel Angkor provides different welcome gift everyday. ^

Pullman : Stayed at 5 different Pullmans; Four of them got an upgrade; and one of them provided double upgrade during my second stay (Pullman Jakarta Thamrin). The only disappointing is Pullman Bali Legian (and no gifts either). One of them provided upgrade to suite. Most of them provide welcome gifts, early check-in and late check-out were granted.

MGallery : Stayed in 3 different MGallery. Two of them upgraded to suite. One of them got double upgrade (MGallery Phuket). Welcome gifts, early check-in and late check-out are granted.

Grand Mercure : Stayed in 2 different GM; One of them provided double upgrades to business suite (GM Jakarta Harmoni). Another one (GM Roxy Singapore); no upgrade, and no other benefits at all.

Novotel : Stayed in 11 different Novotel. Actually I was quite boring staying in Novotel since most of them have similar atmosphere so sometimes I feel like staying on the same hotel all the time. 3 out of 11 got room upgrades; it was Novotel Jakarta Gajah Mada, Novotel Beijing Xin Qiao, and Novotel Semarang. Others ? No room upgrades, but most of them provided flexible early check-in & late check-out. What I really like with Novotel is their early breaks rate which is quite cheap; comparing to the similar class.

Mercure : Stayed in 8 different Mercure. Probably the least options that I will take if there are other alternatives since most of the stays were disappointing. It feels like staying in Novotel (larger room for that price) but with Ibis quality. Eventhough got upgrade in 4 of them, but most of my stays will have disappointing things in the end like: points not posted for months, most of the staffs can't distinguish between loyalty program (Le Club) and discount card (Adv Plus), denied to use Le Club voucher eventhough paying flexible rate, slow internet and etc.etc...

Adagio : only ever stayed once in Montmartre. No upgrades but got surprising welcome gift. No early check-in or late check-out.

Ibis Styles : Stayed in 4 different Ibis Styles. Most of them are good. Eventhough never got room upgrades here since most of the staffs are not aware of Le Club benefits, but the got good price, stylish room, and somewhat bigger than Ibis.

Ibis : Stayed in 9 different ibis. Most of them are mediocre stay. Never got room upgrades in Ibis eventhough they have higher level on their inventories. The designs are quite boring. It feels like standarized Novotel but in smaller size (minus swimming pool and gym). However, no problems with the early check-in or late check-out.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I actually find that Accor offers much more flexibility than Starwood, especially in Asia and Europe. I usually opt for 5 star hotels in Asia as I consider them better value for money as a Plat, especially when lounge access is included. In Europe, however, I tend to go for Ibis or Novotel, as the top tier hotels are overpriced (across all brands) in my view and if the Sofitels and Pullmans don't have any additional benefits (i.e. no lounge), then that's a further disincentive not to go for the top tier sub-brands.

I explored hotel options in comparable locations in Asia and Europe between Accor and Starwood and found that Accor offered better value for money - some Starwood properties are just not worth the price. If the Accor property has a lounge then that's the difference for me. Otherwise, Starwood plats get breakfast thrown in if there isn't a lounge. The only things that tempt me to move to Starwood is the customer service and the additional platinum benefits (breakfast if no lounge) as well as the Lifetime tier membership after 10 years or more. If Accor implemented the above ideas then I'd be Accor for life!

You're right about the website - it has many shortcomings although it has improved considerably over the last 2 years. It needs to organise its promotions better (perhaps by region rather than mixing them all up). At least they got rid of the 'Access' button and its now rightly called LCAH. I am not going to go into the details on website improvements here (I have in previous threads) but if Accor want to know they can get in touch and ask loyal members what they think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.