Wiki Posts
Search

Miles for US Savings Bonds

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2000, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Miles for US Savings Bonds

For those of you who purchase US Savings Bonds, you can now go to www.savingsbonds.gov and purchase up to $500 at a time and charge to your visa or mc. I bonds (bought at face value) are paying 6.98 % if purchased through 4/30 and are reset every 6 months. Great way to give gifts or save for your kid's college and get miles.

------------------
DtG
Old Jan 17, 2000, 10:50 am

Programs: UA1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Million-Miler
This has already been mentioned. And it is important to note that it is considered a purchase by the CC and not a cash advance. Also there is no charge for postage.
Old Jan 17, 2000, 12:43 pm

Bear in mind, you can't cash the bond until it has aged for six months, and you will lose 3 months worth of interest if you cash a bond that is less than 5 years old.

(This is in the FAQ on the web site).
Old Jan 17, 2000, 12:43 pm

Bear in mind, you can't cash the bond until it has aged for six months, and you will lose 3 months worth of interest if you cash a bond that is less than 5 years old.

(This is in the FAQ on the web site).
Old Jan 17, 2000, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

I couldn't find it posted elsewhere. This is for people who actually are interested in buying savings bonds and can do so by charging rather than cash or a check. It is for the purpose of getting miles as was the case for those purchasing Chase travelers checks. I personally buy bonds for gifts and saving for my daughter's college, so it looks good to me.

------------------
DtG
Old Jan 20, 2001, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Time to resurrect this, since it came up on another post and it was new news for the newbies.

------------------
DtG
Old Jan 21, 2001, 5:46 am

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Could somebody please explain the difference between I-bond and EE bond? Why does the I bond have a higher yield rate over the EE bond for the same term?
Old Jan 21, 2001, 6:00 am

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
The website has been available for well over a year. They increase the maximum per purchase to $1,000. You can use Discover, Visa, and MC. The I series are selling for 6.49%, not 6.98%. EE are at 5.54% This changed about two months ago. I started buying when the I bonds were in the mid 7% early last year.

Their website explains the difference between EE and I, http://www.savingsbonds.gov/sav/sbieevsi.htm
Old Jan 21, 2001, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I give Savings Bonds as gifts to our godchildren each year for their birthdays and Christmas instead of some toy they'll forget about or clothing they'll outgrow soon. They all have tidy sums in their college funds now. Earning miles is bonus for being good godparents.
Old Jan 21, 2001, 9:04 am
Original Poster

EE bonds are bought at 1/2 the value.---You pay $50 for a $100 bond which at some point is worth $100. The I bonds are bought at face value. You pay $100 for a $100 bond and then it collects interest. Part of the rate is fixed (I think 3.4%) and the other part is linked to the rate of inflation and it gets redone every 6 months, so your rate can change. The EE bonds are a guaranteed rate for the life of the bond. When gas prices started going up last year, it hit 7.49%. It always takes a few weeks to get the bond, so you need to plan ahead if you are doing this for a gift. And again, there is a $30,000 per year limit for each SSN.I didn't know this and the govt called me and I had to have some reisuued under my daughter's SSN joint owners with me - but her name went first.

------------------
DtG
Old Jan 22, 2001, 11:21 am

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
If bonds are purchased with the intent to help fund college education for a child, read very closely the requirements. I think the bond should be made out to the parents, not the child, in order to recognize the better tax break.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.