Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline of Sports Teams

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2000, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Airline of Sports Teams

Just finished watching the Lakers game, and just started wondering if anyone knew whether they or any other sports team had an exclusive airline that they always use, or do they just charter a plane?

I know I've see an AmericaWest plane painted with the Phoenix Suns logo, but I don't know if they actually use that plane.

By the way, quite a game, huh?
Old Jun 14, 2000, 10:01 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Most NBA teams have private jets at their disposal. The paper I work for did a feature about it quite a few years ago, and at the time only the dregs of the league (Denver, Dallas, New Jersey) were still using charter or commercial flights. All 29 teams now use private transportation.

The Suns logo on the tail of an America West jet probably has more to do with HP's sponsorship of the venue, similar to Delta's sponsorship of Utah's Delta Center, United's of the Bulls' ... etc.

Personally, I miss the arena names of yore: the Great Salt Palace, the (old) Boston Garden and (Portland's) venerable Memorial Coliseum.

[This message has been edited by essxjay (edited 06-14-2000).]
Old Jun 14, 2000, 10:10 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

essxjay is correct. The Sun's logo in on a number of America West planes and is due the sponsorship of the arena. The Lakers have chartered jet. I believe the NBA runs a pool of the things for all the teams.
Old Jun 14, 2000, 10:11 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Swissair is the official airline of the Swiss National skiing team (men and women). The ski-racers even wear a race-dress with Swissair-motives all-over.

And Swissair is also the official carrier for[*]Martina Hingis (world-nr 1 in women-tennis)[*]the Swiss National soccer team (men)[*]the Swiss National ice-hockey-team (ranked nr 5 at this years- ice-hocke-world-championships)[*]the Swiss Olympia-team selection (Sydney 2000)
Old Jun 14, 2000, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum
A few years ago, returning to Phoenix from Ontario, a change of equipment took place and the B737 used as the Phoenix Suns airplane arrived to take us back to Phoenix.

The airplane was configured with 2x2 F/C seats through the first two-thirds of the cabin with the remaining seats in the rear configured in the standard 3x3 configuration.

Was a nice ride for a short flight. Don't know if the same relationship still exists with the Suns
Old Jun 14, 2000, 10:12 am

Location: Tampa, FL, AA EP, DL PM, UA 1K, SPG PL, MRIOT PL, HYT DMND, IC 6CC EX
The plane was an old B737-100, used for Phoenix Suns charters. It was retired last year, and was the last B737-100 to do so. No more of those old pups.

I remember many years ago the Dodgers had a private 707 - they were probably the only team at the time to have their own plane (obviously this was during the 70s).
I saw a Bac 1-11 belonging to the Seattle Sonics in Orlando a couple of years ago - when was the last time anybody flew one of them?
Original Member

I may have been slightly off when I said private transportation in my previous post. I should have said chartered. It's private, but not in service exclusively to an NBA team. However, some teams have their own jets (fat lot of good it's doing Paul Allen right now ...)

But as far as I know, the league doesn't operate a pool of jets. It's a franchise responsibility to provide transportation for the team.

[This message has been edited by essxjay (edited 06-14-2000).]
Old Jun 14, 2000, 10:13 am

It's been a while, so things may have changed, but after the plane touches down, the players of NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB all head to Marriott properties.

I don't know if that exclusive contract has since expired.

I'd imagine this is lucrative business. You have millionaires staying in your hotel, ordering room service so they don't get hassled by the unwashed masses who pay their astronomical salaries.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Jun 15, 2000, 12:46 pm

HP has three planes painted in the colors/logos of sports teams, one each for the Phoenix Suns, the Arizona Cardinals and the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Old Jun 15, 2000, 12:46 pm

And the old 737 with all the FC seats definitely was retired. The Suns hated it because it was so old, and now they charter their own plane.
Old Jun 15, 2000, 12:49 pm

Isnt the NY Islanders the only team in the NHL who is still flying with "regulars" airlines? Atleast thats what I have heard.

Speaking of the Olympics its TG who has got the pleasure to take the Swedish team down under.
Old Jun 15, 2000, 12:49 pm
Original Member

When the Bulls were in town for the '92 championships, they stayed at the newly opened Hotel Vintage Plaza -- much nicer than the Marriott.
Old Jun 15, 2000, 12:56 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The Bulls stay/stayed at the Plaza in NYC- but this may well have been a Phil Jackson or whatever/whoever thing. It was felt that they should pick the place(s) and that they were deserving!

Which came first, the "rings" or the "nice hotels?"

As I noted the Orioles were recently booted from the Grand Hyatt in NY! Poor choice!

There are many exceptions!
Old Jun 15, 2000, 1:03 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
Several years ago, I was on a plane from Detroit to Newark which had the Detroit Red Wings on board.

DD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.