Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

$75 change fee vs. lower fare?

Old Jun 28, 1999, 12:19 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold

Just recently returned from my trip JFK-LAS on HP. my question is this...does anyone have any input as to whether or not the airlines will credit the difference b/t a change fee and a lowered airfare once booked? for example, my airfare...$376.00. checked back a few weeks later...airfare now lowered to $318 to match National Airlines fares. I asked to change my ticket and of course the flight that i was on (from direct to non stop) and was told that it would cost me the $75 change fee as well as any differece in fare. they would not credit the change fee against any lower fare...i have had usair do this in the past...i resolved this with customer service but was completely upset with the manner in which this was handled. in other words, it would cost me $450 to change my flight instead of $376.00 + 75.00 - 318.00 which would have been a wash...any thoughts?
Old Jun 28, 1999, 12:45 pm

Location: Madison, WI, USA; NW Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Usually the airlines will waive the $75 change fee against a price reduction on the same flights as long as you take the reduction in the form of a voucher rather than cash. However, as soon as you ask for the flights to be changed, they usually require that you pay the $75. As for crediting the change fee against the lower fare, I've run into this a few times with the same kind of result you had here. The airlines seem to consider the $75 change fee as an entirely separate transaction from the ticket purchase. I had a Midwest Express ticket that originally cost me $300. When I changed it for a $285 flight, they took my $300 voucher cover the new flight, didn't return anything for the $15 difference (forfeited because of purchasing a lower fare ticket), then charged me $75 for the change.
Old Jun 28, 1999, 12:48 pm
Original Member

When an airfare is lower and available, most airlines will credit the difference without the $75 fee in the form of a voucher if you do not change your itinerary. Its best to do this in person so you will not be charged the $75 fee.

When you decide to change your itinerary, (ie.flights), it is as if you are starting over. As a result of the change, you are charged the $75 change fee and then any increase in airfare (if any).
Old Jun 29, 1999, 6:04 pm
Original Member

I once changed an American flight where I had a cheap 21-day advance one-way fare; the original fare was something like $49 and I wanted to change to an earlier flight. They wanted $75 to do it even though I could have purchased a 7-day advance fare then for something like $63 so I told the reservationist she was nuts as it'd cost me less to buy the new ticket. They made the change and were going to charge me around $50 instead after I talked to a supervisor; but they never charged me the $50 so it turned out to be a free change..
Old Jun 30, 1999, 9:29 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
I've found that even though your on a 21 day or 14 day advance ticket they rarely charge the advertised $75.00 fee. I'm sure it's due to the fact that you can pick any airline and you picked theirs, plus the amount you travel has a lot to do with it too.
Old Jun 30, 1999, 3:12 pm

I just had 2 tickets on which there was a fare reduction and I was still out more than the # of advance days required. Alaska Air issued a credit voucher (MCO) and United said they would do the same but, without my asking, instead issued a credit card refund.
Neither mentioned the $75 change fee.
Old Jun 30, 1999, 3:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec Plat), United, Delta
My experience is, change the flight in advance of your travel (i.e. before you arrive at the airport) and you're going to get saddled with the $75.

However, I had a nice surprise recently. I was booked on an American flight and had to change to a later departure the same day. Turned out the fare was $180 less for the first segment. They did charge me the $75, but also gave me the $105 difference in the form of a voucher.

But jms8090, if an airline is treating the fare difference as nonrefundable, why doin't you simply have them refund the entire ticket and apply the voucher (minus $75) toward the new booking. Preferably this procedure should be done in front of the person who won't give you difference to begin with.
Old Jun 30, 1999, 3:56 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
actually, the ticket was non-refundable and had spoken to two reservationists who both advised me that it would cost me $75 to change the flight even though the fare was a lower one. this was a bit comfusing since all i wanted to do was take the $75 fare against the reduction...hence a twenty five dollar difference...they wanted nothing to do with it...in fact, I had a nice supervisor take care of the situation..but nonetheless was dissatisfied. bottom line here...they stil insisted that my ticket cost me $450 instead of $400, which is what it would have cost me if they would have applied the credit. geez!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.