Search

United Drops $100 Stand By Fee

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2002, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

United Drops $100 Stand By Fee

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/021212/airli...ed_fees_1.html
Old Dec 12, 2002, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
Good move United, now let's all watch the others follow suit. Gee maybe United is listening, maybe they really do want and appreciate our business.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Wishful thinking: Maybe they'll bring back United Connection!
Old Dec 12, 2002, 2:29 pm

With their bankruptcy announcements, I was somehow expecting to see this. Glad they are doing it as there would have been a lot of angry freq fliers.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 3:08 pm

Programs: WWMFD
This is sort of like the answer to the question:

What do you call fifty lawyers at the bottom of the Hudson River?

A Good Start!

kmc
Old Dec 12, 2002, 3:32 pm

finally...i was starting to worry this was here to stay...
Old Dec 12, 2002, 4:12 pm

I will not allow this to stick! I demand to see the bankruptcy judge! How dare UA give away what little earning power they have. What will they do next? Offer double miles? Remove the requirement to stay a Saturday night? Will UA follow my arch enemy AW in pricing policy? Look what I did to AW, I vanquished them from my FF buddies! I will not stand for one less dinosaur in the airline industry.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 6:46 pm

OMG..there is intelligence in the airline industry afterall

Lets see, we are losing money, we are in bankruptcy, what should we do? I have an idea, lets do anything and everything to show our customers we want their business. Lets remove stupid rules that benefit no one. Good for United. Lets hope some of the other airlines get it.

rawbert
Old Dec 12, 2002, 6:59 pm

Thank you United
Old Dec 12, 2002, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Makes a lot of sense. A lot of people would otherwise just take their original flight - which DOES NOT make sense.

For example, Joe shows up at airport 3 hours early. Next AAA/BBB flight is in 45 mins with 20 empty Y seats. He wants on it. His original flight is just about sold out. Offloading him opens up 1 Y seat. Mark shows up at airport an hour later and there's a full Y fare that UA sells him and Joe is already out of town. It always makes sense to get people out of the originating airport ASAP if there are seats. It also makes sense not to penalize people if there was some traffic or security nightmare by offering a same-day standby seat.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 9:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Actually, charging for standby does make economic sense. I could explain that otherwise customers just buy the cheapest flight of the day and fly at peak time. But it's simpler just to say that Southwest has been doing it for years. They didn't do it to imitate others (they were the first), but because it works to extract peak prices for peak-hour flights. I personally dislike this policy, but its economic foundation is indisputable.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 10:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
kcvt750

very smart...anyone else you would like to put down while wasting everyones time with inappropiate comments.

Sorry FT's but this stuff has to STOP somewhere. I probably should have the good taste to ignore it like the other commenters
Old Dec 13, 2002, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Smart business move for UA at this time.

------------------
~ Glen ~ Calling all United 1K Members - please join .. www.1Kflyers.com
Old Dec 14, 2002, 2:29 am

Programs: DL 3MM/DM, AA 3MM/PLT, UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nsx:
Actually, charging for standby does make economic sense...Southwest has been doing it for years...</font>
Yes, but keep in mind that on Southwest you just pay the full fare, which is often MUCH less then an additional $100 over an advance purchase fare.
Old Dec 14, 2002, 11:02 am

Thanks, United!

List of somewhat customer-friendly airlines:
United
Southwest
AirTran
JetBlue
AmericaWest
... to be continued

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.