Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the BEST frequent flier award you've heard of

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2001, 9:11 am
Original Poster

the BEST frequent flier award you've heard of

what's the best award that you've ever heard of given away? someone once told me that a flight on a Russian MiG was once awarded... but I don't believe that.
Old Sep 4, 2001, 10:53 am

The bad news what that it was during the war against Afganistan...

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Sep 4, 2001, 10:56 am

Programs: United 1K
Great Reply. I laughed out loud.
Old Sep 4, 2001, 11:41 am

Off the topic, but you can purchase a ride on a MIG.
http://www.incredible-adventures.com/migs/program.html
http://yellowairplane.com/yellow_air...dventures.html

Old Sep 4, 2001, 12:49 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jaguar:
Great Reply. I laughed out loud.</font>
Ditto-- very, very funny!!!
Old Sep 4, 2001, 1:20 pm

I think this one goes to virgin and the award of richard bransons island. If you want to rent it, I think the price is around GBP 350,000/week
Old Sep 4, 2001, 3:18 pm
R&R

A group of us could POOL out points and have a trip of a lifetime, while cleaning out the account of hoarded miles!

Old Sep 5, 2001, 12:11 am

re: Necker Island... Yes, I am SO ready to go there. Have you seen the Travel Channel "Islands" special with the footage of that place?

I believe they said it was $16K US per night.
They'll make/create/serve/cook/do just about anything your heart desires there.

Is there a way to use FF miles to get a stay there?
Old Sep 5, 2001, 3:07 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jetsetter777:
re: Necker Island... Yes, I am SO ready to go there. Have you seen the Travel Channel "Islands" special with the footage of that place?

I believe they said it was $16K US per night.
They'll make/create/serve/cook/do just about anything your heart desires there.

I think you can do it with VS Flying Club (Vigin)

Is there a way to use FF miles to get a stay there?
</font>
Old Sep 5, 2001, 6:12 am
geo1004

Richard Branson bought Neckar for about 175,000 pounds...

I thought there is/was an award in Virgin's program for renting the island? Was that a one time special or is it a regular award?

Old Sep 5, 2001, 3:38 pm

Programs: Various
The Necker Island reward does exist, it is the ultimate reward in the Virgin FF scheme, Flying Club.

It is 1 million Flying Club miles, which will get you and another to Necker for a Week. I think it is only during one of the 4 Celebration weeks though, this is where the island is made available to around 10 couples for about 15k per couple.

Quite easy to get to if you spend a lot on your AmEx, $1m in charges will get you enough points, so would 40 Upper Class returns from London to Tokyo.

I'm over a third of the way there, which is good progress seen as I need to find a partner first, but then it will be a cheap honeymoon for me when I do get married

But then for 1 million miles, I could get 10 Upper Class return reward flights, and these have a much higher value than the weeks break in Necker.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Sep 5, 2001, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Not a regular award, but the best promotion I've ever enjoyed was the SAS Fly 5 Get 5 a few years ago. One flight on each of the five founding members of Star Alliance during a few months earned a free trip for two systemwide on each of the five airlines. Between a creative routing on a transatlantic trip I was taking anyway and a "carrier run" in Europe over a weekend I spent about USD 1,200 to qualify. The free flights I got would have required something like 1.2 million EuroBonus points if they had been booked as regular award trips.
Old Sep 6, 2001, 7:50 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
As far as "best" goes, are we talking best value, or best experience? It seems like the Virgin award above (now THAT would be something ) may not be a good value.

Hilton has some good awards - 100,000 points for 6 nights at hotels world-wide. However, the one that I would like to save up for is 250,000 points for a 6 night Kenya safari. (Hilton points are roughly 1/2 the value of airline miles.)
Old Sep 6, 2001, 11:28 am

So you could conceivably earn the Necker award without ever having flown Virgin?
Old Sep 10, 2001, 6:17 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
CX
15 Sep - end Mar 2002
If you are Emerald, miles flown + 100% + class bonus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.