New Amex offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Amex offer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 1999, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
New Amex offer

Has anyone else received a postcard from Amex offering a free CO ticket good in the US, Alaska,and Canada if I use my amex gold card at least 10 times in December with a combined total charge of at least $500? It excludes grocery purchases. It seems almost too good to be true and a great deal.
Old Nov 29, 1999, 2:07 pm

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want this - I am calling AMEX RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vulcan - Do you have any more details on this?

[This message has been edited by Tute84 (edited 11-29-1999).]
Old Nov 29, 1999, 2:20 pm

Yes, please send us the details on this!!!
Old Nov 29, 1999, 4:39 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One can only hope that it's true, but really- just spending $500 shopping during the Christmas Holiday season? On just 10 purchases? I dont know! If it is Santa has come early for sure. Perhaps it's a free companion cert applicable with only a paid nondiscounted Y fare or something.
Old Nov 29, 1999, 4:58 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
Sounds too good to be true...please send details. I easily use my Gold AMEX card 10 times a month, and now Costco accepts AMEX!
Certain type of retailers? What about paying for airfare, hotels, and gas?
Old Nov 29, 1999, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
There is not much more to say. The card is about 4 X 6 and says on the front
A Holiday Shopping Trip = A Trip Away
Shop with Your American Express Card and Take Off with a Complimentary Continental Airlines Ticket!

In reading the fine print, I now notice: " Offer is Limited to Cardmembers who receive the mailing, and is limited to one per cardmember account". It looks like another targeted promotion. I have no Idea why they picked me. I don't use my Amex card alot, and I refuse to charge airline tickets on it because of the lousy insurance program. Perhaps I was chosen by lottery.
In the corner of the card, in small print, it says ET2638-RC2

I note that it also says travel must be in "B" class and over a saturday night, and that travel is capacity controlled. Nowhere does it say that it can't be upgraded. Actually, the more I think about it the more intrigued I become. If it's B class it should be treated like a revenue ticket. Perhaps a quick trip EWR-IAH-ANC for about 10,000 status miles and I expect it to be upgradable as well. This looks better and better.

[This message has been edited by Vulcan (edited 11-30-1999).]
Old Nov 30, 1999, 2:00 pm

I HATE TARGETED MARKETING PROMOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what they told me - I first called customer service, and the agent nearly flipped when he saw the promo. He transferred me to the Custom Extras area who administed the program. The guy there said it was totally random, and that CO is a new partner with the Custom Extras program, and that there will be more promos in the future with them.

Then I said, with the $x that I charge per year, you should credit my MR account with enough points for a free ticket. He said no, and I said thanks, (but something else in my head!!), and hung up.

These types of things piss me off.
Old Nov 30, 1999, 5:38 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We love them when we get them and hate them when we don't! Human nature at work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.