Reload this Page >

AMEX MRewards ---> HHonors pts

Old Nov 3, 1998, 7:31 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA

I have about 20,000 AMEX membership reward points that I want to put toward HHonors points to redeem free nights in Paris.

According to AMEX, I can transfer the 20,000 directly to HHonors for 26,000 HHonors points. BUT, AMEX also says that those 20,000 MR points are also worth 20,000 Delta SkyMiles (a program that I belong to but seldom use).

And Hilton says those 20,000 SkyMiles could then be transferred to HHonors for 40,000 HH points, according to my Hiltion Guide....!

Have I found a happy loophole here? Has anyone else successfully done this? It LOOKS like a great way to get an additional 14,000 HHonors points, but makes me nervous. I realize it will take time to do the double transfer, but I've got time...

Whaddya think?
Old Nov 3, 1998, 10:03 am
pgupta011

Matt, this has been mentioned before by Randy as well as within this group. If you have time, it is well worth transferring MR->Delta->HH.

Old Nov 4, 1998, 9:51 am
Commander Catcop

Thanks for the post Matt. I'm looking at maybe doing the same thing if I decided to
have my first annual Day at the Hilton SHort
Hills Spa and Resort in December as a free
trip.

Have a ton of MR points (all those holiday
gifts and travel.) and I guess I can transfer to Delta and then Delta to HHonors. But this
is just in the thinking stage. CATMAN
Old Nov 4, 1998, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Well, I'm giving it a go. I hadn't realized how long it had been since my last Delta flight, and they had cancelled my account due to 3 years of inactivity. But they were pleased to reactivate my account and now the points are on their way to Delta. I'll let you know when (if) the 40,000 actually make it to HHonors...
Old Nov 6, 1998, 8:43 am
bryan at webflyer

Matt, before you make the transfer, I thought I might mention another option. Your idea is a good one; it works and it's much better than a direct transfer. It's still better than the promotional exchange that AMEX and HHonors are doing now (the 20% added exchange value for MR points converted to HHonors points). My idea concerns Diners Club points. You said you have some time. In February, Diners Club points can be exchanged at a one-to-one ratio for Delta SkyMiles. It's a pretty big deal. If you have Diners Club points, you might be more willing to part with them at double their normal value. Hope it helps.

Old Nov 6, 1998, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, bryan, but I don't have THAT much time...and no diners club points anyway...Hey, I'm still pleased to be getting an extra 14,000 points!
Old Nov 7, 1998, 2:05 am
Original Member

Location: London,UK. Ok, about 100 miles from London really, but how many Americans know where Market Harborough is?
Just a quick note for UK AMEX holders, as of 01-Dec-98 you can transfer 1,000 AMEX for 2,000 HH. In addition between 01-Dec-98 and 28-Feb-99 you get a 20% bonus!
MF

Old Nov 7, 1998, 8:55 am
Commander Catcop

To quote Rudi... I feel SOOOOOOO discriminated! CATMAN
Old Nov 24, 1998, 11:04 am
Original Poster

AAAARRRGGGHH! I knew I was getting a deal, but I had no idea just how difficult Delta was going to make it. I called to get my 20,000 SkyMiles switched to Hilton...a 3 minute phone call when I switched AMEX to Delta. Well, 3 phone calls, and the last one lasted 22 minutes. On hold listening to the ANNOYING "chanting children" during the on-hold ads...and NOW they're going to mail me certs that I have to mail to Hilton. Which is fine, whatever. My problem was the second call when I was hung up on while I was on hold and the "huh?" I got when I asked about switching the miles. Are these CS reps idiots? Am I the first person ever to call and ask about switching miles to Hilton????? Not exactly the sort of experience that will lure me away from UA...

Well, like they say, you can't get something for nothing! I just hope they can actually figure how to affix postage to my certs!!!!!
Old Nov 24, 1998, 12:10 pm
Commander Catcop

Unfortunately Matt... I don't think ANY Airline or hotel program would be generous enough to pay for the postage to get your certificates. They have to save their money
for mustard Flavored pretzels or more tapes
of those annoying children going A DEE OH AY EEE (Sir Edwin Landseer HOWLS whenever a Delta commercial goes on.)

I have had problems with Delta in the past simply to get a regular ticket without point
transfers. After going on hold I go to the local Delta office to get my free tix and wait and wait and wait while the person who
almost always says "this is the first time I have ever issued a free ticket" has to ask
six people how to do it.

You kind of scared me off transferring my UA
miles to Hilton if I decide to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for the "convention"
next year. Maybe I'll just stay a lot at hilton and make a big cash-in! CATMAN
Old Nov 24, 1998, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

I hate to sound like merry talking about BA, but I have NEVER had a problem switching between Hilton and UA! Ususally a three minute phone call and a 1-2 week wait. As opposed to a delta 3 phone call, total of 30 minutes on the phone only to have to wait 60 days. Booooo hisssss, delta.

And as for city offices, don't get me started on my experience at US Scareways office here last week replacing a lost ticket for my sister-in-law. Lets just say my bias against Useless was re-justified!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.