Reload this Page >

Travel Smith and other Smart Gear

Old Apr 3, 1999, 1:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32

After a lifetime of overpacking (from the "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" school of thought), I have decided on a new packing strategy for my old age and the new milleneum.

In preparing for several warm-climate trips this spring, I am contemplating ordering a travel-light wardrobe from the Travel Smith catalog. It occurred to me that this catalog is probably sent to all high-level frequent flyers, so I thought I'd ask advice from the experience of some of you "Light Travellers". Quality?? Performance?? Flexibilty?? Suggestions?? I am especially interested in the female perspective, but might also spring for some new travel duds for hubby and son, so any great suggestions are highly welcomed.

Thanks.

P.S. I did manage a two-day, changed outfits twice a day, coast to coast trip with only one wheeled, legal brief case. This is a great accomplishment when you conside the immense volume of makeup, hair and skin stuff a high-maintenance old lady requires.
Old Apr 3, 1999, 3:10 pm
Original Member

I am notoriously known among many of my friends/travel partners as "the lightest traveler they have ever met". My trick? Instead of folding your T-shirts, for example, roll it up. It accomplishes two objectives: first, it saves space (it won't make sense until you try it - I didn't believe it until I tried it myself); second, your garment is less wrinkled when you reach your destination. Some of my lightest travel experiences include: a week long trip (including two days of skiing) with only one small duffle bag; two three week trips/vacation in San Diego with one roller.
Old Apr 3, 1999, 3:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Ok Demeter, I can see San Diego with one roller. It's hot there so all you really need is T-shirts, shorts, sandals, swim trunks....... but how did you get your ski gear, skis, boots and poles in one small duffle? Wow, I couldn't even imagine that without all my high-maintenance hair/skin/make-up, you know girl stuff. I'm impressed.
Old Apr 4, 1999, 5:09 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Punki,
If you want to learn to pack more efficiently, you have to buy the book, "Pack It Up" by Anne McAlpin. I purchased it before a long trip to Asia and it helped me really pack better.

I've eyed many items in the TravelSmith catalog, but haven't had chance to order anything. One lifesaver is that new material that is 94% acetate and 6% spandex. You can find tops, pant, skirts and dresses made from the material. It is super wrinkle resistant so it looks great right out of the suitcase. I own several dresses and tops that I travel with constantly. The best part is that it isn't a very expensive material and the clothing can be found at most department stores.

Another really helpful item I've found is from the Megellan catalog. It's a bag that has a vaccum opening. You put your bulky items (ie sweaters, sweatshirts, etc.) in it, seal the bag, and roll out the excess air through the vacuum hole. It squishes all the extra air out of your clothes so you end up with a nice flat package. Megellan sells the a large and small bag as a set for less that $20. A great investment for me!

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 4, 1999, 11:57 am

Programs: Lots
Or the cheaper version that a colleague of mine uses.. A while ago there were infomercials for a vacuum sealable "storage bag" that came in all sorts of sizes. I think it was marketed as a way to store pillows or something. You just plug a vacuum into the hole and turn it on. Works surprisingly well. On the other hand, if you're staying at a hotel, it may be difficult to locate a vacuum to pack all your things again.
Old Apr 4, 1999, 1:32 pm
Original Member

Okay, I cheated a little (albeit not intentionally). I didn't pack any of the skiing equipments during that Colorado trip. I was actually going to try snowboarding, so I just rented the equipments there. I did pack my ski/snowboard outfit (pants, etc) and all other necessities in that duffle bag of mine though.
Old Apr 4, 1999, 4:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Many thanks Tropical and Axey for the great suggestions. I have decided to by everyone in my family a Trvelsmith Microfiber 90 degree, wrinkle resistant, washabale and guaranteed to ready to wear the next morning outfit for our upcoming trip. Sounds too good to be true but I'll take a chance and report back to the board.

HATS!!!!!!!!!! How about the rollable panamas??? Anybody have any experience?

Tropical, I too have had my life saved on numerous occassions by the new knits. A black knit dress that can be worn four days in a row (gotta remember deoderant) and look totally different every day by adding a vest, a scarf, a string of pearls. Also have gotten really good as stowing socks, underwear, rolled up belts, etc. inside shoes.

I'm seriously trying to recover from my lifetime addiction to TOO MUCH STUFF. I must be some sort of carry over from being a Depression baby.

Didn't mean to tease you Demeter, but I couldn't resist.
Old Apr 4, 1999, 5:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Many thanks Tropical and Axey for the great suggestions. I have decided to by everyone in my family a Trvelsmith Microfiber 90 degree, wrinkle resistant, washabale and guaranteed to ready to wear the next morning outfit for our upcoming trip. Sounds too good to be true but I'll take a chance and report back to the board.

HATS!!!!!!!!!! How about the rollable panamas??? Anybody have any experience?

Tropical, I too have had my life saved on numerous occassions by the new knits. A black knit dress that can be worn four days in a row (gotta remember deoderant) and look totally different every day by adding a vest, a scarf, a string of pearls. Also have gotten really good as stowing socks, underwear, rolled up belts, etc. inside shoes.

I'm seriously trying to recover from my lifetime addiction to TOO MUCH STUFF. I must be some sort of carry over from being a Depression baby.

Didn't mean to tease you Demeter, but I couldn't resist.
Old Apr 5, 1999, 2:16 pm

Oddly enough, I'm wearing one of Travel Smith's "Go Anywhere" pants for the first time as I sit and write this. It just came, and I couldn't be happier with it - VERY comfortable, light, zip pockets - quick-release fly. Well I don't work at the place, but I just put a $1000 order in for a trip Down Unda and I haven't been disappointed.

By the way, they have an unconditional $$-back guarantee, so if you not happy, even AFTER you take your trip, they'll take it back. No questions.

Good company.

------------------
g'day

Oddly enough, I'm wearing one of Travel Smith's "Go Anywhere" pants for the first time as I sit and write this. It just came, and I couldn't be happier with it - VERY comfortable, light, zip pockets - quick-release fly. Well I don't work at the place, but I just put a $1000 order in for a trip Down Unda and I haven't been disappointed.

By the way, they have an unconditional $$-back guarantee, so if you not happy, even AFTER you take your trip, they'll take it back. No questions.

Good company.

------------------
g'day
Original Member

Punki, you may find these sites useful:

www.oratory.com/travel/index.html
members.tripod.com/~travelite/

Other advice:
toiletries: decant into travel-sized containers (if you use expensive brands, ask for samples at one of their department store counters) and multi-purpose products
colour: choose a basic colour and stick to it: it minimises *everything* - fewer clothes, shoes and less makeup if everything goes with everything else.
clothing: non-wrinkle/knits are great, as is taking clothes which will layer (can be warm/cool and adds variety to appearance) and that can be dressed up or down
climate change: if you're travelling between warm and cold climates don't take a coat - take a serape instead: it folds up more easily, and can be used as a blanket if necessary.

For those who truly suffer from the over-packing demon: put everything you plan to take with you on a bed or couch, then go through item by item, asking yourself
"Does this go with everything else I am taking?"
"Will I be able to wear this more than once/in more than one setting?"
"Do I really need this - and if I discover that I do, can I buy/replace it at my destination?"

In my experience, the only truly vital items when travelling are your ticket, passport (if applicable), prescription medication/glasses and some form of currency.

[This message has been edited by baobab (edited 04-05-99).]
Old Apr 5, 1999, 6:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

WOW, baobab, looks like you have done som serious research! The members.tripod.com/~travelite/ site is great.
I'll have to work up to two weeks on 14 pieces, but in the meantime I will take less and less gear on each trip I take. One thing I have noticed is that I really never use all the junk I drag along, but it somehow makes me feel more secure to have it.

I agree with you absolutely essential list but would add on more item--a prescription for a generic brand of any necessary medication just in case they some how get, lost, stolen, whatever.

Wanderlust, on your recommendation I placed an order with TravelSmith which will arrive this week in time for a trip to Florida next week. If it works as well as you say, I'll expand for May trips to London, Spain and Africa. Easy to see how you can run up a $1,000 tab in a hurry.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Old Apr 7, 1999, 12:54 pm

I have two of the "Indespensable Black Travel Dresses," one in black and one in blue. They are fabulous--dress them up or dress them down. As a result of my experience with these dresses I'll definitely be a regular at Travel Smith. My husband also has one of their suits, and it's great also!
Old Apr 7, 1999, 2:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
There is no end to ideas on this topic!!!

First consider if doing a load of wash is reasonable. A small ziploc bag of soap and a couple coins, mixed with 2 hours can double you "clothes". When on a driving trip, involving many hotels (after your flight) consider a plastic trash bag to store the dirty clothes and leave them in the trunk.

I alsolike to take some old clothes with me (when appropriate for wear). During the trip I can discard these items after wearing. Old shoes (soles about gone, tops ok) do fine for dinner, etc., then toss before you come home. Makes room for those must presents. I also like to take items with "just enough left", like shave cream, deodant, etc and then toss them at the end of the trip.

Bury your house keys in the back yard. You can dig them up when you get home.

Decide on black or brown shoes and then require everything you take to go with them. Any thing will go with your sports shoes if they are not too crazy. Wear layers in cold countries. A t-shirt may last one or two days between washes. A plaid shirt/jean jacket will last at least 10 wearings (if you don't spell). It can even be worn once or twice without a t-shirt on the last wearing or two.

I take extras. Two or three plastic bags (qt, gal and trash sizes). They always get used for something (ice, wet bathing suit, leaky bottle, trash, dirty clothes, packing paper to keep dry, etc). Secondly, we almost alway take a small back pack. Great for camera, passport, snacks, binoculars (rarely taken anymore), hair brush and similar. Let's my wife leave her purse behind. Secured and concealed.

Another tip. When traveling with another, cross pack you checked luggage, if you have two or more. That way you each will have some stuff if only one bag makes it to your destination.
Old Apr 7, 1999, 5:06 pm
Original Member

Punki... train yourself gently: take less on each trip.

A general rule of thumb is that you should not take more than you (yourself! - not husband or son...) can comfortably carry. That way you're never stuck.

Copies of prescriptions, like vital passport pages and tickets, are useful. If you don't take them with you make certain that you leave them with someone who can fax them to you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.