Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst Business/First

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2000, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Worst Business/First

There is a thread on the best. I would like to know what FTers' opinions on the worst, so that I can avoid .... Happy New Year to you all. It's already 2001 here in Tokyo.
Old Dec 31, 2000, 9:24 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I had a domestic flight and my only flight on CZ (China Southern) in C where my seat rocked. I don't think it was supposed to !

Asking for an Ice cube for your warm coke was the equivalant of asking them if they had the Hope dimaond!
Old Dec 31, 2000, 9:27 am

American Airlines' transcon business class in 767-300s: a fully reclined seatback in front of you squashes your tray (no room for beverage glasses, computer, etc.) and traps you in your seat.
Old Dec 31, 2000, 9:33 am
Original Poster

BTW, I would appreciate route-specific comments, as I do not believe airliens can deliver uniform/consistent services. While I really love CX, the worst ever business food I ever had was CX TPE-HKG in Nov.
Old Dec 31, 2000, 9:40 am

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
I believe that 0524 is referring the AA's transcon domestic 767-200's (approx 40" pitch). The 767-300's have a 48" pitch and 60" pitch (those reconfigured to MRTB). The int'l 767-200's have a 50" pitch.

[This message has been edited by AAPlatinum (edited 01-02-2001).]
Old Dec 31, 2000, 9:50 am

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Speaking domestics - my vote is TWA! And I know it was a typo - but I love the new term "airliens" I've had those FA's !
Old Dec 31, 2000, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
SK on their non-refurbished 767-300 intercontinental flights. the service is quite good as is the food however the seats themselves are ancient and not too comfortable either. inflight entertainment is limited to the main cabin screen or sony watchman's - i.e. no in seat video.

until they replace these seats or ontroduce their A330 and 340's I would avoid SK longhaul business if an alternate is available.

also, avoid Air India on any sector served by Airbus aircraft as these planes are badly in need of updating. the 744's arent too much better either.

Old Dec 31, 2000, 12:36 pm

I cannot reference too many airlines FC or business class; but I would make a recommendation on an aircraft to avoid.

The 737 (particularly the older ones) are not as good in FC as the Airbus or 757. Newer 737s are allright. The 737s cannot come close to a 777 or 747.
Old Dec 31, 2000, 1:29 pm

Thanks for the important correction, AAPlatinum.
Old Dec 31, 2000, 1:36 pm

My vote goes to the many intra-European flights where business class has the same pitch and same seat width as economy. The extra Euros for C get you drinks, sometimes food, a departure lounge, and a shorter walk from the airplane door to your seat.

Whoop whoop.

Old Dec 31, 2000, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Any FC flight on America West. HP's F is like flying Southwest with an assigned seat number and 'pleather' coating on top of hard plastic.
Old Dec 31, 2000, 1:46 pm

I once bought a round-trip business-class ticket on Balkan Bulgarian Airlines between Sofia and New York (they mercifully no longer fly this route). The plane was one of their leased 767s, and the fare was quite attractive. When I got on the plane I saw that the seats, pitch, etc. were exactly the same in C as in Y, which the FA cheerfully acknowledged. The only difference was being in the front, having fewer people around me, being served by the cheerful FA, and having a somewhat better meal, although the snack before landing at JFK was served with plastic knife and fork. All this for about $300!
Old Dec 31, 2000, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
I'm trying to select a preferred carrier for 2000; I've been looking at Northwest. I bought a 60 day trial WorldClub membership and tried a ConnectFirst (full fare coach, auto upgrade to first class) fare from MSP to Fort Wayne, IN on the 28th...

Here was my experience:

MSP - DTW
1. WorldClub closest to gate was closed due to weather problems, they were using it as some sort of a rebooking center for other customers.

1. Nice wide seat on a DC-10. It was directly in front of a couple and their screaming infant.

2. No greeting by FC FA.

3. No offer to take my coat. I eventually put it in the overhead compartment.

4. No offer for a pre-takeoff beverage or snack while the flight was being delayed for two and a half hours waiting for a tug, waiting in line for de-icing and waiting for our turn to take off.

5. After we were airborne, there was the standard cart beverage service. Alcohol was offered, so were a few types of nuts. I had a 7up and honey roasted nuts.

6. Snack service was a ham and cheese sandwich in a bag with some cookies and crackers. Kind of like AA's bistro service, only we had to wait for FA's to deliver it to us.

7. Since the flight was late because the crew was late because they were coming from a plane diverted to Duluth due to mechanical problems, plus the above delays - I was 80 minutes late for the connecting flight. Ticket agent said there wasn't anything they could do because it was weather related. I asked about discount accommodations due to weather delays, she said it wasn't their policy to provide any assistance for weather related problems. I showed her the page in their customer guide where it mentions discounted accommodations for weather related delays, she returned with a voucher for the Ramada. She joked that I needed to get rid of the customer guide.

8. Ramada van arrives with the parking vans, not the hotel vans - so I watched from the hotel van area as the Ramada van arrived at the parking van area. I ran to the parking area and missed the van until it returned 20 minutes later. Van driver didn't provide any assistance with bags.

9. Ramada front desk says, "Sign here" in same breath as he says, "next in line" to next guest. Didn't tell me I had to also turn in phone voucher in order to get my phone turned on. Went back to front desk with phone voucher, then to hotel dining room where they were closing in 10 minutes and were out of everything except for chicken fingers.

MSP - FWA:
1. DTW WorldClub was open. I snacked on a bagel and had some OJ. Watched some TV.

2. Gate agent didn't give off typical NWA Soviet aura. Older lady, super professional and friendly with everyone. Smiled more than most NWA employees I've dealt with. Helped rebook passenger who just missed her flight at a neighboring gate. Wrote her name down for a comment card... Actually, I asked her for a comment card but she didn't know where I could find one. I used the one at the back of the customer guide document. When I boarded the flight I gave her an extra 120-minute pre-paid calling card as a token of my appreciation.

3. Bulkhead seat, decent recline but not much legroom.

2. To my surprise, the FA asked if I would like something to drink. She seemed put-off by my acceptance of her offer. I had a 7up.

3. No offer to take my coat, although she was putting coats away for members of the crew.

4. Other FA was chewing bright green gum, visible to everyone within 2,000 feet. Strutting up and down the aisle, throwing her hair back.

5. Although beverage service was displayed on the reader board at the gate, FA made announcement that there would be no beverage service due to the "short duration of the flight".

6. Arrived to FWA earlier than scheduled.

I don't really care about being in FC just for the sake of FC, especially if FC is just like flying coach. I just want some decent service.

I have always enjoyed Alaska Airlines; their coach is better than NW's FC. Too bad I can only use AS between ANC and ORD.

I think Midwest Express might be worth a try, it might be worth the drive to MKE from where I live near ORD. Have any of you tried it yet?

-Robert
Old Dec 31, 2000, 4:46 pm
In Memoriam

By all means try Midwest. You will think that you have died and gone to heaven. It's no accident that CondeNast rates them at 80.5% customer satisfaction. Forget Northworst if you can use Midwest.
Old Jan 1, 2001, 9:03 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Just as i rate SK high on econ service, their C-class product is inferior. On intra-european routes pitch and width of seats are the same as in Y. Intercontinentally, as mentioned by Indogulf, they are way overdue for a refurbishing/interior overhaul of their 767's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.