FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you tip the the airline's lost luggage delivery service?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 1:03 pm
MKEbound

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
About 2001 I had an airline lose a bag on my flight home from Christmas. I had flown into MKE, then drove over 180 miles to the wife's family for the first few days (between MSN & DBQ)

One checked bag didn't make it to MKE, and when it arrived hours later the airline paid a taxi to deliver the bag. When the bag arrived at 2am, I noticed the delivery was made by a taxi driver and I asked if he was being paid metered rate for delivery (360 miles RT!) He smiled and said nope, they only pay us the metered fare for one way! With a wink and a smile he was gone.

Average taxi in MKE is about $1.20 a mile so that guy got $215+ for delivery of my bag; more than the plane ticket had cost!

And NO, I would never tip for delivery of a lost bag!

On another trip back a bag was lost, but instead of driving it across the state, they flew the bag back to a hub city, then on to MSN for delivery, of course by that time Mrs. MKEbound and I were back on the East half of the state so they had to fly the bag back to MKE for delivery.

Last edited by MKEbound; Jun 30, 2008 at 1:08 pm