FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi PremierPass companion airfare
View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 2008, 2:34 pm
SeattleFlyerGuy

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by BluEyedFF
Spirit Incentives, the group which handles companion airfare for Citi cards, is by far the worst companion program I've yet experienced.

After a dozen or so inquiries, there is never availability. Each time, the reason I'm give is "a base fare is available which doesn't meet the minimum of $299" (literally quoted... must be a boiler-plate response)

I've tested this the last few times with a number of discount travel sites and actually had a travel-agent friend search from her end. The last 5 inquires should have been honored... no base fare on any airline was even close to below $299. On top of that, even if the base fare requirement is met, you cannot choose the carrier, flight times, non-stop, etc.

Essentially, when the CSR inputs the data, data for a single flight is returned. That's all folks.

I must say... I'm giving serious consideration to going with AMEX Platinum again. Even though one is limited to 4 companion fares per year, the program is entirely flexible and you may choose carrier, times, etc.

CitiBank, if they care at all, should seriously reconsider the program supplier.

I voiced my concern to both CitiBank and Spirit...neither seemed the least be interested.
Agreed. PPE's program is utter ..... I have never used a different one, but i have a hard time imagining a crappier one.

I'm almost wondering if there might be a class action law suit for false advertising for the PPE. Nothing works as advertised. The companion ticket is advertised as buy a ticket for $299 and get a free one, but we all know it doesn't work that way. The way flight points are advertised is misleading. It's actually one of the most overhyped cards out there.. Does anyone else feel like maybe suing them might be a good option?