FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE: Grand Hotel Palazzo della Fonte, Fiuggi, Italy [Master Thread]
Old May 19, 2008, 11:23 am
tinkybelle

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by schriste

The hotel is nice, but during my visit it was really dead… as was Fiuggi. After spending 2 weeks in Capri, Sorrento, and Amalfi this was a real let down. It was even more of a letdown to discover that Fiuggi IS NOT AN OLD ROMAN BATH TOWN. The water from Fiuggi is for drinking. The big “spa” park is the weirdest place I think I have ever visited. There are all these little chairs… you just sit around all day drinking water.

The best reason to stay at the Grand Hotel Palazzo della Fonte is just so you can say the name. I stayed at the “Grand Hotel Palazzo della Fonte”, just sorta rolls off the tongue. This is good place to stay if you have a car and want to tour the region. The Hotel is nice, but just sort of there… it left no real impression on me other than that of being in a strange time warp. The main town is certainly OK, but not especially interesting IMHO.

As for SPG… I was on an award and spent the extra points up front (1,500 per night IIRC) to get one of their largest regular rooms. It was very spacious with a large seating area in the room. We were not offered any upgrades to a suite (I asked). Amenity was some Fiuggi water and cookies IIRC (actually I note in vindesante's post below the mention of wine... now that I think of it I got wine too, not Fiuggi water). Spacious older style white marble bathroom. The room had one of my favorite features… a door between the main room and the entry area… wish all hotels did this.
I decided to stay there for 3 days last week.
at no time was the car service told to me.
though you do need a car I would ahve ordered a car from fiuuji itself
I chose the hotel as it pool area looked fab and I had visions of lazy days beside a sun filled pool drinking margaritas.

on checkin I asked what what around the area they ent me to stupid places with not much around.
on sunday night we noticed there ahd been a big day in town
oh yes they said there was a religious fiesta ion old town.

just great biggest thing in the town in months and they FORGOT to tell us??

they also forgot to tell us that the pool was closed and empty except for the indoor pool which I never use.

shouldnt a hotel with a major asset that is closed have that on the website??
I would never have stayed somewhere for 3 days without an outdoor pool.
though the 2 concierges were nice .
they sent me to a nice restaurnat very hard to find in a dead end street in old town.
Carol you definitely need a car if you are there of rmore than a night
its quite a walk into the town and all up hill on the way back. nothing much in the new town the told town is miles away
i had checked on tripadvisor and they had lots of fab comments.
i agree with everything you said here and wish I had checked here first
the hotel is nice . the breakfast is forgetable and there isnt anything terribly much in this area except hills and small roads.
my travel companion liked this area and said he preferred it to our stay in the westin rome the st regis rome and the cavalieri
he is plat and we got an UPGRADE to a room as u described with the sofa and 2 windows.
the hotel was absolutely empty!
as plat he never asks for a suite just gets what he is given.
when i checked my booking (after we checked out) we were supposed to have a panoramic with balcony . we didnt get a balcony but i noticed that the empty hotel had heaps of balcony rooms with shutters down
when we arrived there were 4 bottles and glasses sitting opposite our room on the ledge they were ther for almost 3 days before being removed. we left empty dirty glasses on the table and they were never washed or replaced.
no water at night.

what a joke when thye ahve fabulous fiuggi water in the town.-but not in the fridges the water comes from another place. no brains at all!
one bottle of cheap red on checkin/ i would much have preferred a big bottle of fiujji water every day.
the halls were heated so hot I had to remove clothing to walk around.
Id never go to this hotel or that area again.
by the way we were on a full rate of 232 euro for one night and points and paid for other 2.
internet doesnt work well and kept going down so we didnt use it at all.
I called their reception for help

she was no help and very unfriendly the guys were nice though.

at this hotel at that price. in that area
it should be free wifi

Last edited by tinkybelle; May 19, 2008 at 11:43 am