FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE: Grand Hotel Palazzo della Fonte, Fiuggi, Italy [Master Thread]
Old May 12, 2008, 8:02 am
schriste

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I spent 2 nights about a year ago (Late April 2007). As mentioned it is a “grand” hotel and most likely the nicest hotel in town. The complimentary car service to Rome goes to the Hotel Eden. IIRC it must be booked the day before as it is not a regularly scheduled service, but runs on demand only. You can not use this service to get to or from the hotel, which is a shame because getting to Fiuggi is something of a pain unless you have a car (we did not). The service is one per day at a fixed time (morning departure late afternoon return.) Probably useful for folks on a conference or the like, but I would not recommend using this hotel as a base for visiting Rome.

The hotel is nice, but during my visit it was really dead… as was Fiuggi. After spending 2 weeks in Capri, Sorrento, and Amalfi this was a real let down. It was even more of a letdown to discover that Fiuggi IS NOT AN OLD ROMAN BATH TOWN. The water from Fiuggi is for drinking. The big “spa” park is the weirdest place I think I have ever visited. There are all these little chairs… you just sit around all day drinking water.

The best reason to stay at the Grand Hotel Palazzo della Fonte is just so you can say the name. I stayed at the “Grand Hotel Palazzo della Fonte”, just sorta rolls off the tongue. This is good place to stay if you have a car and want to tour the region. The Hotel is nice, but just sort of there… it left no real impression on me other than that of being in a strange time warp. The main town is certainly OK, but not especially interesting IMHO.

As for SPG… I was on an award and spent the extra points up front (1,500 per night IIRC) to get one of their largest regular rooms. It was very spacious with a large seating area in the room. We were not offered any upgrades to a suite (I asked). Amenity was some Fiuggi water and cookies IIRC (actually I note in vindesante's post below the mention of wine... now that I think of it I got wine too, not Fiuggi water). Spacious older style white marble bathroom. The room had one of my favorite features… a door between the main room and the entry area… wish all hotels did this.

Last edited by schriste; May 12, 2008 at 10:41 am