FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One Quart size bag
View Single Post
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:46 am
oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate

Programs: I work for the TSA
What's "too much" liquid medicine or formula? At the mercy of a TSO's random idea of what's acceptable?
Yes.

Where prescription medicine is concerned, I have NEVER seen a TSO have an issue with quantity. Obviously, your mileage may vary, but ...

Non-prescription: A really big gray area. I have seen TSOs taking things away that are supposed to be permitted. Remember, the phrase, "I need this for a medical condition," is your friend! Don't be afraid to ask to speak to a supervisor,

Liquids for a baby or small child: I think the official guideline is that you are allowed approximately as much as you will need during your flight and any connecting flights. Also, the items ought to be for the CHILD. (Please don't tell me your 1-liter diet Coke is for your infant.)

Water is kind of a gray area. It's really up to interpretation by the TSO. Some will say that free potable water (drinking fountain) is available airside, thus you can't take bottled water through.

In any event, think in terms of REASONABLE quantities. If you want to take an entire case (or whatever) of formula, enough to last for your whole week's vacation, it's a good idea to put it in your checked bag.