FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What Should I See/Do While Staying at Doubletree Resort Puntarenas, Costa Rica?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:17 pm
The Lurker

Question What Should I See/Do While Staying at Doubletree Resort Puntarenas, Costa Rica?

I am trying to plan a last minute trip (going next week) to Costa Rica. This will be our first time in Costa Rica and I'm wondering what we should see and do while there.

I've booked us at the Doubletree Resort Puntarenas, as it looks pretty nice and I can get triple HHonors points!

The three sites that seem the most popular are Monteverde Cloud Forest, Manuel Antonio National Park, and Arenal Volcano. Do you recommend these? Should we do them all or just some of them? If we have to choose 1 or 2, which ones? Are there other recommended sites or suggestions for things to do?

Here is what the Doubletree lists as nearby attractions:

Arenal Volcano&Tabacon Hot Springs 90 KM NE
Carara Biological Reserve 37 KM S
Golf Los Suenos 45 KM S
Manuel Antonio National Park 130 KM S
Marinas Los Suenos 45 KM S
Monteverde Cloud Forest 42 KM NE
Poas Volcano 100 KM NE
Tortuga Island 25 KM NW

If we rent a car, how easy is it to get to and tour sites on our own? There are 4 of us going, so it seems we may be able to save some money by renting an SUV rather than paying for guided tours plus a taxi to/from the airport. I've read the thread about driving in Costa Rica so I think I know what to expect in terms of road conditions.

Thanks so much for any help and suggestions!