FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to get Aeroplan number to print by default on UA boarding passes?
Old Mar 28, 2008, 4:39 pm
jeffjfj

Programs: A3*G,AC,BAEC
Originally Posted by WillTravel
For my United flight FRA-SFO two days ago, I had to check in at FRA. The Lufthansa agent (because Lufthansa seems to handle United check-in at FRA) would not reprint the pass with the Aeroplan number on it, although I explained the situation to him. He said something like, "Oh, the Aeroplan number is in the system." The UA Mileage Plus number was on it, but he would not reprint it. So I find that this flight segment has posted to UA Mileage Plus, but I don't know what I can do about it. I'd rather get Mileage Plus than nothing, but I'd prefer Aeroplan. Any ideas?
Step 1: Call AE and explain the situation. Make sure you explain that the agent told you that the AE number was in the system AND that he/she refused to reprint the BP. AE might tell you that you're SOL - if so, go to Step 2. If not, go to Step 3.

Step 2: Hang up. Repeat Step 1.

Step 3. AE will probably tell you that you have to get the points removed from MP and then you have to request that AE put them on. Get the AE rep's name and have him/her put a note on your account that that's what you'll be doing. Note the rep's name and the date/time of the call. (A better option is to send an email to AE and get an email back from them, as you then have their reply in writing, but I haven't tried this.) If you're as paranoid as I am, record the call (as I did).

Step 4: If you haven't gone the email route, call AE back after a couple of hours/days and confirm that a note is on your account detailing what's happening and that you are "authorised" to get the points credited. If you're as paranoid as I am, record the call (as I did).

Step 5: Print a copy of the MP mileage transaction page showing that the points were credited.

Step 6: Email MP, explain the situation, and ask them to remove the points. You may get an email back asking you to verify that you want the points removed, because once the points are removed from MP, they won't put them back if the "other program" (AE in this instance) refuses to credit you. (This is why you need to go through steps 1-3 first.) Follow their instructions for removing the points.

Step 7: Wait for the points to come off of your MP account. When this has happened, print a copy of the MP mileage statement page showing that the points have been taken off. You should have also received an email from MP either confirming that the points have been taken off or some sort of confirmation (from your original contact with them) that the points will be removed.

Step 8: Follow AE's instructions for getting the points credited to AE. This probably means sending in an explanation of what you want, your BP, confirmation that MP has taken the points off of your MP account (MP emails and MP statement printouts), and a copy of your request to MP that they remove the points.

Step 9: Pray like hell that AE doesn't screw up. Do this for the 5 months or so that it will take the points to show up in your AE account.