FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Meridien Turin: Art+Tech or Lingotto? [Master Thread]
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:49 pm
ericj

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Starwood Torino

Originally Posted by yann
Considering both hotels are so close to each other , what about hotel hopping between them ?

Would it be counted as separate stays ?

Thanks,
Yann
I am afraid I tried that, only to discover they shared the same reservation system so the two stays were merged in one, but that was a couple years ago so maybe it changed.

My two cents about those properties :

- The Lingotto is a congress center and is quite far from the city center. No metro there, only trams and buses, and at least 15 minutes to reach the center. Please note that is stands completely opposite sides of the city from the airport so it will cost at least 40€ to get there with a taxi.

- I do thing the Lingotto is better than the Art+Tech, even though the A+T gets the Hermes stuff and the Lingotto does not (shine, shine, little fifth star). The lobby is OK at the Lingotto and non-existent at the A+T (plus it's filled with panels welcoming delegates and cheap tables covered with welcome kits, when really there is not enough room for that). Front Desk is tiny and check out at peak out can be a lenghty experience.

- OK, I have to admit I find both hotels completely depressing The whole building was completely rehauled by Renzo Piano at the end of the 80's and boy it shows. If you are interested in architecture from the 80s it is actually very interesting (meaning : depressingly cold and sterile, but one has to see the sunny side of the street).

- The Lingotto looks more like a psychiatric ward for the elderly (including a pale green color scheme) and the A+T like a futuristic high security prison (in an early 90s movie). Corridors are wide and empty, ceiling are high and reverberating every noise, furniture is mostly metal, glass and architech lamps set in front of huge bay windows overlooking a former factory. Certainly a great place to be productive, but as a leisure destination I think not. On the plus side, it is so different than Torino as a city has to offer that there might be some balance to be found here... somewhere.

- Breakfast is equivalent in quality at both properties, the Lingotto being superior again IMHO, considering it takes place by windows in a more relaxed atmosphere. At the A+T you are in the prison central pit, with the ceiling 25 meters above your head and a few attempts at "warming the atmosphere" (a kilim carpet here, some "art" on the wall or a leather armchair there) only emphasize how chilly this huge empty space feels. Oh, and the breakfast staff sucks, too

Each time I am amazed that considering the space they had there is no pool. But the rooftop jogging track (on a former FIAT cars test drive circuit) is nice.

OK, enough .....ing, I need to be punished. I'll be there again in two weeks (Lingotto, of course!).