FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pickpockets in Europe
View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 2008, 2:55 pm
rankourabu
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Jay71
Do you mean not to carry a money belt or fanny pack? We carry use a money belt (zippered pouch with an elastic waistband worn inside the pants) to carry our important items (passport, railpass, most of our cash, etc). If we need discreet access, we'll typically slip into a washroom stall.

-----------

Other thoughts...
- Personally, I don't bother "hiding" my camera. It's a bit of a trade-off buy I usually keep it in my pant pockets for easy access.

Definite no to a fanny pack to carry important stuff in....
Definite yes to a money belt under your clothes to carry passport, cash, etc as long as it stays invisible!. But a big no-no is to access in a public place the contents of said money belt. Last thing you need people seeing is that you have a stack of 50s on you.

I often put my camera in my pants pocket too, I bought a smaller one just so I can do that. There is no need for bulky cases/carrying it around your neck, etc

I dunno, I backpacked around the entire continent 3 times (ok I missed out on Moldova), and never, knock on wood, had a problem. Its really about common sense.