FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Alaska Airlines Bored Room
View Single Post
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:37 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by meej
^^
I was there on my tippy toes trying desperately to snap some pics and video. We arrived downtown sort of late and all the folks who showed up at 4th and D were herded down a few blocks so we really had to struggle to find out little piece of "higher ground". Was quite a sight to see that many folks turn out. Lot of energy in the crowd for sure. Glad we decided to head down there and check it out - it was worth it.

Happy to see some new life in the Rondy - we went to the outhouse races on Sat. and that was pretty entertaining as well. More of a demolition derby than anything, and a truly Alaskan event. Its nice to have something fun to do when the snow(ice) conditions are abysmal.
Hmm. I'll have to check out some of the other Rondy events, although it looks like most of the good stuff has already happened. Of the remaining events that piqued my interest, most are happening while I'm at work next weekend.

Is there a description of the events anywhere? I can't find it on the site. Maybe if I read about some of the other events, I might try to check them out, too.

About the only one that interests me that I might be able to check out (other than the daily stuff like the snow sculptures, etc.--how did they hold up with the warm weather last week?) is the barbecue competition next Saturday before I go into work. If it's anything like the barbecue competition during Golden Days in Fairbanks (or whenever it is), it's sure to be good. (Mmm...I miss Big Daddy's...)

Since the First Annual Fur Rondy Do was a dismal failure (JeepGuyDE had to cancel his trip up, and everyone else was out of town), anyone want to meet up sometime after noon on Saturday to see what's cookin'? (Bob, you should enter!) And someone remind me to start planning the real First Annual Fur Rondy Do earlier next year! (That is, earlier than two weeks before! )