FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US drivers license/EU
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2008, 3:40 am
Scrooge McDuck

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Exclamation Not possible

Originally Posted by theduke
Let's assume a 16 year old EU citizen has obtained a US drivers license (as a permanent resident). How old does he have to be to use it in Europe? Is there an age requirement for the "international driving permit" ? Since in most of Europe the drivers license can only be obtained at age 18 or, with additional training, 17, I doubt that 16 is old enough to drive in the EU, even with a valid US license.
Best is to check with your local office responsible for issuing driving licenses. @:-)

To my knowledge, you cannot use a drivers license from a non-EU country if you live permanently in the EU, i.e. you have to get a new one issued within a certain time period or you risk driving a car without a license ... For transferring the license usually certain rules apply, i.e. you must have the minimum age, i.e. 18, and you need to have this license for a minimum amount of time before entering the EU, e.g. 6 months.

Using a US license in combination with an international license does not help either, since you are REQUIRED to transfer your license which implies that from day 1 on the rules (age, time of possession, ...) apply.