FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Charlie Card vs Charlie Ticket
View Single Post
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:17 pm
Efrem
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Analise
First off, who is Charlie? ...
I don't think anyone has answered this one yet. Apologies if I missed an answer as I read through the thread.

Charlie was a fictional character in "The MTA Song," also known as "Charlie on the MTA." ("MTA" stood for Metropolitan Transit Authority, the predecessor of today's Mass. Bay Transit Authority or MBTA.) It was written for the 1948 mayoral campaign of Walter O'Brien. It was made famous by the Kingston Trio about ten years later, with the name changed to George O'Brien to avoid political problems.

Charlie was a poor chap who got on a train for the usual fare of 10¢, unaware that he'd also have to pay the new exit fare of 5¢ later. (The MTA instituted this scheme so as not to have to modify its toll collection machines.) As the song ends he's condemned to ride the train forever, with his wife handing him a sandwich each day as the train goes through the Scollay Square (now Government Center, since 1960s urban renewal tore down Scollay Square) station. (The song doesn't explain why she couldn't hand him a nickel too.) The only way to get Charlie off the MTA is to vote for O'Brien, who would repeal the fare increase. Unfortunately for Charlie, but perhaps fortunately for the solvency of Boston-area rapid transit, he lost.