FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Charlie Card vs Charlie Ticket
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2007, 12:12 pm
Analise
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Charlie Card vs Charlie Ticket

First off, who is Charlie?

In Boston last Friday, I planned to ride the T three times. So when I went to the Red Line at South Station, I saw machines which sold Charlie tickets and that each ride was $2.00. Someone next to me took out his Charlie Card and told me to get one of those instead and not to pay the more expensive Charlie Ticket. The machine, however, seemed to sell only Charlie Cards. I didn't see anyone to talk to in a closed in area with a big desk (not sure if that were a ticket window) but I did see two security guards chatting with each other. I asked if one of them could help me. I said that I was looking to take 3 rides today on the T and that I wanted to pay the least expensive amound. I knew that there were two prices and wasn't sure if there were even a third. The woman said that I had to buy a Charlie Ticket and that it would cost $2 per ride. The man said that he had a roll of Charlie Cards and that he would give me one so I could load it up at the machine. The woman told him not to do it. He asked her why not. She said that I should pay the higher amount. Since I of course heard her, I interjected and said that I will not pay the higher amount. Why is there even a choice?? He told me to ignore her and he gave me a Charlie Card. Very nice of him.

I then went to the machine and put $5.10 on it. I noticed when I stopped at other stations that no one and no machine were giving out the Charlie Cards and that the machines only produced Charlie Tickets.

Ok, gang, what's the deal? Why did the female security guard want me to buy the more expensive fare on a Charlie Ticket? Why are there two fares? Who would use a Charlie Ticket when a Charlie Card is cheaper?

I am very confused. What's the deal? Thanks.