FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ATMs - Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Nagoya & Kobe
View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:06 pm
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
I think you're making a post hoc propter hoc judgement LapLap. I seem to recall that you mentioned Seven-Eleven ATMs also rejected your UK cash card. (Am I imagining that?) If so, I think that the problems you experienced may be unrelated to the Post Office privatisation - Is there a chance that your UK bank made some changes to its systems?
No - the 7-11s have historically never accepted our debit cards. Only the Post Offices ever did (and the Citibanks erratically/once or twice in a blue moon.. for a laugh, I'd say).

MrLapLap only recently acquired a credit card. Both of us have only ever used our Debit cards before. We would have been completely sunk if he hadn't had a Credit card this time around.

And our Debit cards are issued by two different banks. I suspect that the old system meant that somehow the Post Office ATMs had access to whatever network could disclose if there were any funds in the British accounts before dishing up the dough - but with a Credit card, they don't need to. Hence the difference.

Neither of our cards have Cirrus - so this might be worth looking into for those visiting Japan from the UK. Visa on its own doesn't seem to be enough anymore.

Last edited by LapLap; Nov 13, 2007 at 9:12 pm