FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 2: Palatable Moderation
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:20 pm
Randy Petersen
Founder of FlyerTalk

Actually I see it a little different and don't want to butt in with these discussions but you seemed to direct this to me. From my observations, the topic of Moderation gets the most interest because the overwhelming number of candidates (you can review yourself what the huge majority of candidates have to say) have to defend their POV that Moderation on FlyerTalk is something to be respected rather than despised. But hey, it's an open system and all topics are welcome. I actually think that most would prefer to move on to topics that they could actually be active with on FlyerTalk – topics which were within their spelled out responsibilities. But please, I'm not involved in this debate and wish you and all other candidates a great time communicating with our members.

Originally Posted by Punki
Thank you, Randy, for that information. Since neither Hunki nor I have never received a warning, I had no idea that there was a system that caused warnings to be sent. When was that system put into place? How does that work?

Do the moderators first just discuss the post at issue with the member in question, or is a warning automatically generated when they first contact a member regarding a questionable post? One Candidate mentioned that he sometimes exchanges up to as many as 20 PMs with a member in order to resolve a questionable situation, which, BTW, I think is very admirable. In that instance, does the member get 20 warning notices?

In each and every election we have held so far, the subjects that garner far and away the most interest are those that deal with moderation. It is clear that people are very concerned about moderation and how it works. Any and all information that the moderator team can share with the general membership will go a long way to further greater understanding.

When enhancements like this are made to the moderation system, it would be wonderful if they could be announced.