FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How much will the hotel pre-authorize on my card?
Old Oct 30, 2007, 3:35 am
socrates
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
None of them 'settle' a bill until checkout. EVERY hotel puts a pre-hold on the credit card, which is totally different & I'm sure the GM at the IAD Suites would back that up.

Using the AMS Marriott example, last year they put a hold of 'x' (rm/tx/incid) on my card when I checked in. Was approved. Last year's hold fell off 3 days later. The actual amount finally charged/settled was the amount owing at the end (as is proper), BUT - I had to have the 'hold' amount available at check-in, regardless of the 'settle' amount at check-out. And there have been instances (see the LHR example above) where the hold amount was larger than the settle amount.

Cheers.
Actually that's not exactly correct, most extended stay hotels have a policy where they will place a settlement charge every $1k or once a week etc (I have seen a few non-extended stay hotels do this as well but it's very rare and in a special situation usually)

Soc

PS it doesn't matter the type of service establishment you use - the holds will always be larger than the settlement amount to ensure the transaction will process, it's the only way the credit card companies will guarantee payment