FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Foolproof recliner stopper -- no extra mat'ls needed
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:13 am
EWR ATC Hold

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador (lifetime Platinum), Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by tangoll
I was on CX cattle class last week where the seat pitch must be absolute minimum, and the guy in front kept his seat reclined the entire flight even during meal service when the FA's didn't request ppl to bring their seats back up. While wishing I had that recliner stopper gadget, I rolled up the inflight magazine, so that it was like a billy club. So I thought, why not wedge that between the seat back and the edge of my armrest.

Well, when the guy went to the bathroom, and he brought his seat up, I tried it. The rolled up magazine is the perfect distance between the front edge of the armrest and the lower part of the tray table in front. With that club of a magazine in there, there's no way the seat in front will budge even an inch when trying to recline. And since it's the inflight magazine, if the guy in front or the FA comes to take a look, you just quickly bang the magazine off its slotted position and make like you're reading the magazine. The only one who knows what you're doing is the guy in the seat next to yours. If you have a blanket, you can even use the blanket to cover the magazine in that position. Having a rubber band handy will keep the magazine nicely rolled up.

Of course, if the guy in front finds out what you're doing, you might have a fight on your hands; then you'll have to use the rolled up magazine as a real billy club.

It's one thing to bring that recliner stopper gadget on board, but to use what's made available to you on the flight? It seems less evil...
While airline seats might be one of the most uncomfortable things ever invented, you have absolutely no right to infringe on someone elses right to recline their seats. Those seats have been designed and tested in a way that everyone has an equal amount of space (absent some exit rows and other necessary oddities). What gives you the right to block the person in front of you? What makes you think you're better than he is and deserve the extra space? I'll leave it at that. I know others will have strong feelings on this thread as well. If space was such an important thing to you, pay for business class. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the flight with your knees in your chest.