FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Better off buying Business using miles or buy cheap economy and use miles to upgrade
Old Jan 16, 2001, 4:22 pm
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Had to buy a UK friend a ticket from LHR to Sth. America via USA for very late 2000, and man there is a weird system there. I did all the calls so I know. Phoned UA and ask for ticket, and got quoted £1100. In Q class. Best deal they had on price.

Phone ebookers.com and get told Q class is about £650. But they had "certain inventory" on certain days, etc, etc, etc. Went on for hours. Went back to UA and politely asked as a 1K whether I couldm't get a beter Q deal off them direct. "NO". Most complicated booking I ever made. So, the UK retail/airline situation is rather complicated to put it mildly. Seats were to be upgraded with SWU's so class did not matter on that one.

is it possible to check availability of upgrades online?
I know it is the year 2001, and our computers do everything for us short of mowing the lawns, and feeding the dog, but I never understand with such crucial things why it is not ALWAYS done with a phone call to UA. It is a free call, and you get ACCURATE info.

------------------
~ Glen ~