FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Questions re trains in southern France
View Single Post
Old Sep 22, 2007, 4:12 pm
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

Train strike throughout France on Oct 18

The friend I am visiting in France just sent this:

President Nicolas Sarkozy will face his first strike on Oct. 18 after five of France's eight railway unions called for a day of protests, vowing to defend their right to retire at 50. The strikes will be a test of labor's strength against Sarkozy's resolve to overhaul pension privileges enjoyed by 500,000 public sector employees. Labor unions said that the strike could last more than 24 hours if Sarkozy did not take their grievances into account and some warned that France could face weeks of mass protests. In 1995, a three-week transport strike paralyzed the country and forced Sarkozy's predecessor, Jacques Chirac, to withdraw a revision of public sector pensions. In 2003, a reform of civil servant retirement benefits prompted two weeks of protests, although the proposals eventually passed.

Fortunately, I only need to get from Juan les Pins to Cannes on October 18. I checked bodory's link (thank you) but it doesn't appear to include Juan les Pins. Is there another site that gives bus schedules for this area? It would be great if I can pick up a bus that runs along the Med, dropping off on the Croisette in Cannes.

Failing that, roughly how much is the taxi fare between the two cities?

Also, should the train strike extend several days, is there bus service from Cannes to anywhere within an hour of Apt?