FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - use of disabled parking permit away from home?
Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:35 am
Harleycat

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
From the Mayor's Office For People With Disabilities, http://nyc.gov/html/mopd/html/resour..._parking.shtml

A person holding a New York City Parking Permit (a plaque placed in the windshield) may park in all “No Parking” zones except those marked as taxi stands; at “No Parking” or “No Standing” spaces authorized for doctors, press, diplomats, and government agencies; at parking meters without depositing a coin; and in “No Standing, Trucks Loading & Unloading” zones except for specified restricted hours. A person holding a NYS parking permit or one from another state or country (blue hang tags or plates) can park in accessible spaces marked by the International Symbol of Access in municipal and private lots, such as shopping malls and parking garages, but can not park in the street in the “No Parking Zones.” Only persons holding New York City Parking Permits can park on the street in “No Parking Zones.”

[emphasis added by me]
A few other facts about the NYC Disability Parking Permit (I have both the NYC and the NYS)

They are vehicle specific. You have to submit a copy of the registration of each vehicle you want listed on the permit. You can have up to ten vehicles on your permit but if you have more than three, you cannot substitute a temporary vehicle like a rental.
They must be renewed every year and can require a physical examination every two years.
On street parking is also limited in the garment district.
They are not valid outside the 5 boroughs. For that you need the NYS hang tag. I will admit that, when I forgot my hang tag, I put the NYC permit in the window and have never had a problem.

About the hang tag.
They are not valid on NYC streets and you can be ticketed or towed for parking in a restricted area.
If you park in a lot that charges a fee, you will have to pay the fee whether you have the hang tag or not. The hang tag just allows you to park in the accessible spots in the lot.