FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taca Distancia Miles Purchase - This Deal is HOT!
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:09 pm
EmailKid
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
2. If I read the route map correctly there is no routing from anywhere in the US that will get you to Buenos Aires in under 2 connections.
You are correct. Haven't flown TACA since they stopped doing those great fares on Xmas Day and New Year's Day in additon to the odd one day sales (the last one I know about was $118 plus tax IAH-SAL, just under $200a/i). Was up to 20K miles with them, alas that wasn't really enough to do much with, and since I only had one last flight (a bump on CO got me a CO seat IAH-SAL and TA SAL-SJO).

Scored an Op Up once on a return flight SAP-SAL-IAH, and thought that First was pretty decent: Seat about like NW domestic first, and omelette WAY better than CO's on SJO-IAH (when I got an u/g).

The bad thing is that many cities are more like three connections to S. America: the one and only flight from IAH stops in BZE before continuing to their big C. American hub in SAL.

And the mileage is strange: 2K online booking bonus, but the IAH-SAL-SAP gets you less than 1K miles (CO.com gives you 1,093 miles for their nonstop) because they count the distance between Houston and San Pedro Sula, Honduras (just so you don't have to look up SAP in airport code list).

I've always had good service in Take A Chance Airlines, but did have a flight cancelled one time without explanation. Apparently the a/c that was to fly SJO-SAL didn't show up, so they put many of us on SJO-MIA, and in my case MIA-IAH on CO. But there were many pax that ended up with forced overnights because the next SJO-SAL flight would arrive after most of the once a day flights already departed. This was at least four years ago, so they may be better now.

Then again, CO had a mechanical problem one time and was forced to cancell the morning SJO-IAH flight, and my getting to the airport a little late turned out to be a blessing because they told me I wouldn't make it through security to catch said flight and put me on the afternoon flight. So I ended up with a confirmed seat while those who showed up on time were on a standby list

EmailKid

Last edited by EmailKid; Sep 8, 2007 at 10:15 pm