FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dusseldorf taxi to airport cost question
View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2007, 7:58 am
Flying Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
I didn't understand there was a distinction. From the office (in Munsterstrasse) to the airport along A52 and A44, there is a junction between the two with a 270-degree loop round. I've never entered that at any speed less than one that makes you wonder if the driver has taken leave of his senses. Then, with the airport exit in sight, it's back up to maximum speed again. Wow !
Ok, that way out of town. I normally get our of town via Kennedy-Damm.

However: The first mile if the A52 (between the ARAG Headquarters or the Renaissance Hotel and the Esso station) is a national road, the famous B1 leading from there all the way to Berlin and (in the past) going up to Koenigsberg. After the Esso station the B1 becomes A52 it continues to Essen, where it becomes the A40 and if you continue that way to Dortmund, as soon as the A40 reaches the Dortmund city border it becomes the B1 angain. The difference is easy: A national road can have crossings and traffic lights and there needs to be no shoulder (and there is a speed limit). Similar to the M and A concept in the UK.