FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone know the average cost per pound to fly 1,000 miles at $3/gallon fuel?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:33 pm
Rebelyell

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Anyone know the average cost per pound to fly 1,000 miles at $3/gallon fuel?

I read a magazine article recently that had information about how airlines were working to keep weight down and how much they saved in a year for each pound or kilo of weight they were able to shed. It was a pretty good amount although I can't remember the figure. Given the way they have started cracking down on overweight luggage it must be a real cost.

If I read the article correctly, it said half the fuel on long-haul flights (I presume trans-Pacific) was used just to carry the gas for the trip, and suggested that if fuels costs continued to rise there might be a return to the days of shorter hops for refueling.

Anyway, just curious if anyone can come up with a ballpark figure of about how much the marginal cost is to transport one pound 1,000 miles, and whether it is a significant amount. Of course, when we're talking about luggage and passengers, we're talking about more than one pound. I realize planes differ and it must be a ballpark figure.

Part two of this question, assuming it is possible to calculate a marginal cost per mile per pound (and the cost actually amonts to something), is would you be willing to fly on an airline that charged a flat fee for each seat and then charged extra for poundage, whether it be luggage or body weight. In other words, instead of pricing a round trip at $300 they might price it at $200 plus fifty cents per pound, or whatever. Needless to say a family with small children flying up to grandma's for the weekend would likely pay less per pasenger than a team of sumo wrestlers with a full load of luggage.

Personally I would like such a system because it would make everyone pay their fair share. Right now, I tend to overpack. If I had to pay for every pound I might try to pack a little lighter, which would be to everyone's benefit. Of course, I might watch my own weight a little more, too.