FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - tripRewards (Super 8, TraveLodge, Days Inn, etc) now gives AA miles
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:40 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Yes, but the problem is that you have to stay at a Super 8 or a Days Inn.

After my last "adventure" at a Howard Johnson's, I just cough up the money for a Hilton, *wood, or HIX.
Sounds like you never go to small towns???

I got into this when I needed a reasonably priced mini-vacation hotel with fridge and micro (so I wouldn't have to eat out every meal in a no-iDine/RN town !) and free internet access in JAC (Jackson WY), and BW wanted all my money months in advance, the only Hilton affiliated hotel was $400/night, there was no *wood or Priority Club of any sort (HIX or Candlewood or CP or whatever), and so it was down to an indie or Super 8 (for $100ish/night). I needed 4 nights, and I was not about to cough up an extra $1200!

Still, I only chose the Super 8 because of decent www.tripadvisor.com reviews.

I would never choose either a Best Western or TripRewards property without verifying at TripAdvisor or elsewhere that that specific property was ok.

I'm not suggesting that people reach out to TripRewards in towns where there's oodles of choices from every chain. Not only do you have to go through the extra hassle of verifying that the specific property is ok (because there's too much variation from property to property), but you don't get as many miles in many cases as at some other chains.

But it's a totally different story in small towns where there's not even an HIX or Hampton (or, as one poster above noted, one small town where there is an HIX but it happens to be way worse than the Super 8 for some reason!).

... Btw, my 803 AA miles (for a $401.something 4-night total, before taxes and a mild "resort fee" that they didn't disclose when I was booking on the web) posted within a week or so. (Interesting that they gave me an extra mile for 2 x half a $!)