FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can Magnets Harm Cell Phones?
View Single Post
Old Jun 19, 2007, 1:04 am
Vunder31
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
I use one of these magnetic flap cell phone holders.

No problem what so ever with my cell phone and I've used it for over an year now.

At least with mine, the magnet is so small that i doubt it can do anything any harm.
You don't need a big piece of metal to affect the radio performance and standby time.

A couple of years ago some companies started selling fake crystal 'bling' stickers so that people could decorate their phones. Every piece of bling is only a couple of millimeters in size and is made of plastic with a reflective metallic backing (to make the sparkle...). One of these pieces, placed directly over the antenna, is enough to affect the radio performance, reducing the battery life up to 20% according to tests I read.
Even putting them further away from the antenna affected the performance if you put enough pieces on the phone.

But there is no long-term harm to the phone once the metallic piece is removed, except maybe needing to get a new battery sooner because the battery has been discharged and charged too many times, but most people get a new phone before that happens