FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Can I Upgrade an Award Ticket?" Discussion Thread [Merged]
Old May 26, 2007, 3:36 pm
honmani2

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Don't ask why; it just is, that's why.

It's been raised in the past and the simple answer is that dem's the rules. UA decided that award travel is not eligible for upgrades, period.

Of course, rules are made to be bent and I've gotten upgraded on award tkts using 500 mile certs but that was based on the generosity of the gate agent and not because it's something that passengers are entitled to get.

I've raised it in this forum a number of times. It seems to me that if I'm going to use upgrade instruments for my paid flights, why not be able to use it on an award tkt for my wife? I'm going to use them at some point anyway.

So when my wife and I travel (usually I'm on a paid tkt and she's on the award), we both end up sitting in E+.

Others have said that UA figures that many upgrade instruments are not used (which I'm certain is true) and if they allow award tkts to be upgraded, then more will be used, obviously.

It's also been stated that there are options to upgrade awards by simply coughing up more miles to get those seats either saver or standard.

But, in the final analysis, UA makes the rules about the mileage plus program and we abide by them.

Does any airline allow upgrades on award tkts?