FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [EXPIRED] Buy Traveler's Checks with AMEX cc
Old May 23, 2007, 10:38 pm
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Ahhh, the Amex gigs... yes, I might have known.

Yup, this is one of those ones where many people know about it but amex has a way of letting only some of it slide--a bit--for now--sometimes.

A general example in life: I do a thing that technically should not be doable but only once and a while. So they let me do it. Once I do it a lot or regularly, they may be like, okay dude, enough for you. bye bye! And then I'm out. They let me know I've had my fun and they ease me outta there cuz they can.

Similarly, if I do it once and a while and only stay small, but I go and tell everyone I know, then they have the same problem, just many little versions of it! People may adhere to the "let's not abuse it" theory, but that only goes so far. The masses, by nature, abuse things just by existing! Have you ever been to an orderly but crowded outdoor concert? Look at the grass when it's over! WOW that grass is ruined, man!

And then, there ARE the people who go big on this sort of thing and that really makes them mad. (grass turns to mud and people get stomped on too--think: Lollapalooza )

I am a fan of sharing ideas and getting thru the loopholes or whatever this falls under. But I think even Amex has no officially quantified stance on this one and I am happily surprised they have never shut it down to date. I figure it will one day end, and no it is NOT going to be because it's posted in FT. I would go into this one with caution, treating it kinda the same way you would have used your fake ID back in college:

You got in tonight with it. Cool. Have fun, but that does not necessarily mean it will work again tomorrow!

those who did NOT adhere to this philosophy when using their fake IDs in college eventually got busted for it.

This gig with Amex should be treated the same way until their long arm of the law comes down on us all. Hey, them are just some words of experience in both matter(s).

MM

good that you shared it though. Thanks!