FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suspicious packages and dumping terminals
Old May 23, 2007, 4:40 am
seoulmanjr

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The TSA has an irrational mindset that bags suddenly become highly unstable and might detonate at any moment once something is "found" and I don't see that ridiculous SOP changing. As soon as something "suspicious" is seen on the screen or the ETD, the SOP is to clear everyone away. Just like this week's LAX T-2 incident with fake novelty mortar rounds.

Doesn't matter that the odds of something actually exploding are too small to bother calculating - the "think of the children" and "anything is ok if it keeps us safe from (nonexistent) bombs" crowd will preach "safety" over sanity and rational response.
(I'm just playing the sarcastic devil's advocate here...)
Then what about the cavalier way they handle these potentially deadly and explosives items?!? I mean, they obviously aren't that worried about them mixing into something volatile in huge random heaps and exploding in public. So there.

Can any of the TSA apologists here explain to me why there's such a freak out about how dangerous the liquids potentially are to the aircraft, but no explosive/hazmat procedures are followed in their collection and disposal?

peace,
~Ben~