FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Driver's Edge "Charter" Member
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2007, 4:38 pm
STAM4NICK

Here is the website on the citicards.com page:

http://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/ca...o?screenID=925

This is the new design, but charter members say “CHARTER” rather than “OPTIONS”

I figured out that it is more worth it for me to keep the charter version rather than get or transfer to an options version. The vast majority of my spending is at NON special category merchants---though I do use it for groceries and drug on a regular basis and even that is probably 20% of my monthly/annual spend on this card, so if I get 2% on these NON-special category merchants despite a $500 annual maximum, I might as well keep it as opposed to using a 1% NON-special category card as I do once I max out benefits. Coincidentally my dividend card is 2% on the special categories anyways, so my Driver’s Edge and Dividend have equal special category “cash” back.

Now that Chase Freedom is even better – 3% special category, but does not include drugstores unfortunately, but if you eat out at any coffee place or sandwich shop and even local delis/convenience stores 3% is better than 1% or 2%.

I don’t like how they advertise the Dividend card on the website. They make it seem like you get 5% on gas, grocery, and drug all the time now with new apps, but if you read the fine print it is only for 6months, then it goes back to 2%---seems like they are trying to drum up support for this card after the rewards downgrade. Too bad Citi is being sly in this advertisement.

I am loyal to MasterCard branded cards, so I like to stick with them from Citi mainly or even Chase.