FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Durian in London - best source? (Personal recs only please)
Old May 8, 2007, 11:19 am
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Durian in London - best source? (Personal recs only please)

Firstly, I know where to buy some of the Durian in London.

It's available in Gerrard Street (China town)
Central/South Hackney (Vietnamese shops)
Colindale (Oriental City)

When I pass this monster fruit I tend to stop next to it and inhale deeply - I adore the smell. Last time I went to Chinatown with my husband I got him to park my wheelchair next to some (while he got the Jah Jah Sauce..mmm) just so I could savour the aroma.

I thought I'd finally try some in Thailand last year, but a business trip made that impossible.

I find I keep thinking about Durian and I'm ready to have my first taste. But I'm concerned I might get negatively imprinted with the taste of a bad one and get put off it unecessarily.

Are there any true Durian lovers out there who could give me some guidance?

Is it possible to get good quality Durian in London, or should I not bother and wait until I can get to somewhere where it grows/falls naturally? (could be a while)

If London does get fine Durian, any tips as to where to go, what to look for, best time of the year to try, what to avoid, etc...?

I'm supremely conscious of how awful fruit can be in England (I'd imagine I hated melon if I hadn't eated glorious ones in Spain, or that mangosteens were over-rated if I hadn't enjoyed some grown in a friend's garden, picked the day before and flown in from Sri Lanka... my mouth is still watering...)

I'm guessing the fact that I love the way Durian smell is a point in my favour, but any pointers from conoisseurs of this controversial fruit would be very much appreciated. I want my first time to be special (at the very least, not appalling).

Thanks!