FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Anchorage or Sheraton Anchorage
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2007, 2:01 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by badjuju
Since I'm going to be in Anchorage next weekend, May 11-13, the hotels are fairly inexpensive. I checked out several sites for the hotels mentioned like the Alyeska, but the reviews are touch and go. Based on feedback here, it appears if it's between the Hilton and Sheraton, I should skip the Hilton.
Probably not a bad conclusion. Note that my saying the Alyeska Prince might be the nicest in the state really isn't saying much, although the location is quite stunning. The concept of living in luxury at a five-star hotel is just not known up here (remember, we're the type of people who go to the symphony or opera in jeans and flannel shirts).

I never quite got the whole star class of hotels--who decides whether a hotel's amenities are worth four or five stars?--but if I were deciding it, I'd probably put the Hilton at something like 2.5 stars, the Sheraton at 2.75, the Captain Cook at (maybe--it's pushing it) 3, and the Prince teetering on the edge of four stars. I do think that the Prince is the property with the most AAA diamonds in the state (not sure if it's 4 or 5), which is slightly more quantifiable than the nebulous and unsourced star ratings.

Now that you mention it, I too have heard people say mediocre things about the Prince (although I seem to remember the news a few years ago mentioning some change in ownership or a new partnership of sorts--things may improve, although not before you get here). Based on guest satisfaction, I have no doubt that the Sheraton ranks higher than the Prince, so you'll probably be plenty happy there.

I always take hotel ratings online with a grain of salt: aloof types with impeccable tastes will rate Marriott Courtyards low, while low-budget, easily-impressed types like me would rate the same property with twice as many Epinions smiley faces. Somehow, you have to read guest satisfaction while factoring in what amenities that person is used to and the price range (for the price range and amenities offered, I'd give the Courtyard high praise--I may be getting a relatively basic room, but that's all I'm paying for and all I'm expecting; it wouldn't be fair to rate them as poor because they didn't have a concierge or five-star restaurant). I wouldn't find it surprising if the people giving the Prince low ratings were expecting the Crowne Plaza and were disappointed with the caviar here or something (personally, I think those types of unpleasable, unappeasable people should stay away from Alaska). Still, I've heard there are ways in which the Prince needs to clean up his act...

Sorry for really not being helpful at all!

Last edited by jackal; May 4, 2007 at 2:18 am Reason: Rewording, adding, and the inevitable copyediting