FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help me plan my western road trips :)
View Single Post
Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:18 pm
BertG

Programs: Silver, US Air
Death Valley

If you would like a flavor of car travel while on a well maintained cliffside, dirt road, you might consider a half-day drive down Titus Canyon. The vistas are magnificent, the rock colors beautiful, and the blue sky is the backdrop to all this. The cutoff starts west of Beatty, Nevada. Its easily navigable even by smaller RVs. You'll have a sense of what travel was like for turn-of-the-20thCentury miners. The road is one lane wide and it is cut into the cliff along the canyon wall. THe road starts at a high elevation where you can see directly across Death Valley to the Panamint Mt. range. You begin to drop down into the canyon gorge, and the rock walls build up higher and higher along side you.
Average speed along this 35 mi (?) is about 10-15 mph. Less around curves. No oncoming traffic (one way into DV only). If you go mid-week, you may see less than 10 cars for the entire trip.
Oh, there's also the foundations for two old mining towns about midway down. When I was there I stopped and ate lunch there....and I watched a 6"tarantula cross the dirt road. Very cool! When I was walking up toward him he stopped his walk. Once I stood quietly, he resumed crossing the road. He was really beautiful.

Whereever you wind up, have a great trip !